• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

plagiarism (1 Viewer)

Dawn65

HSC
N/A
Is it considered plagiarism if you reuse your own work? For instance, you do a course at one uni and write and hand in an essay and then a year later are asked at another uni to write an essay on the same topic could you hand in a polished version of the previously submitted essay? Is that still considered cheating?

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Yes, it is considered a form of plagiarism and is not recommended.

You should never 'recycle' assignments. When you sign your essay cover-sheets, you confirm that the essay has not been previously submitted for assessment. This is plagiarism.

Last edited:

Dawn65

HSC
N/A
Thanks for that. I would hate to have found that out after the fact.

Sadiah

HSC
I never kenw that either..

But how is it plagiarism if you reuse your own previous work.. I mean, they're still your own words, aren't they?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
As Ethanescence quoted, you can't re-use it, just rules. They want something new and fresh. I'm quite sure you could re-use the ideas you used in a previous essay but you'd need to type it all again and moderate the content included in it.

HSC
Uni Grad
That's just plain moronic, if you write the fucking thing you should be able to do whatever.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I never kenw that either..

But how is it plagiarism if you reuse your own previous work.. I mean, they're still your own words, aren't they?
I agree. It's not plagiarism, per se.

But if you sign a cover sheet saying you have not submitted this essay elsewhere for assessment when you actually have, I believe it can be dealt with in a similar way to matters of plagiarism.

Sadiah

HSC
I agree. It's not plagiarism, per se.

But if you sign a cover sheet saying you have not submitted this essay elsewhere for assessment when you actually have, I believe it can be dealt with in a similar way to matters of plagiarism.
Yeah true..

But just have references .. and quote your previous work ...

Just make sure you don't copy paste your previous work word by word for your current work..

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
The policy reason for prohibiting this would be to ensure all students have as fair a chance as possible to do the assessment in the prescribed time, I suppose.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It is plagiarism, as it would be the uncredited usage of previously existing ideas. However, you are allowed to quote and reference your own work.

zaxmacks

HSC
It is plagiarism, as it would be the uncredited usage of previously existing ideas. However, you are allowed to quote and reference your own work.
Plagiarism is using another authors ideas as your own. Using your own ideas is not plagiarism.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Plagiarism is using another authors ideas as your own. Using your own ideas is not plagiarism.
YES it is not strictly plagiarism, but most uni plagiarism policies prohibit it so seriously who cares what you call it, it is not allowed. The uni is not going to excuse it because, it is not the correct use of the term.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
'Self-plagiarism (also known as "recycling fraud" is the reuse of significant, identical, or nearly identical portions of one’s own work without acknowledging that one is doing so or without citing the original work.. Typically, self-plagiarism is only considered to be a serious ethical issue in settings where a publication is asserted to consist of new material, such as in academic publishing or educational assignments'

zaxmacks

HSC
'Self-plagiarism (also known as "recycling fraud" is the reuse of significant, identical, or nearly identical portions of one’s own work without acknowledging that one is doing so or without citing the original work.. Typically, self-plagiarism is only considered to be a serious ethical issue in settings where a publication is asserted to consist of new material, such as in academic publishing or educational assignments'
And this thread is asking whether reusing your own ideas is plagiarism, not 'self-plagiarism'.

There's really no room for debate here. Plagiarism has a specific definition, and it does not include reusing your own ideas. I'm not trying to say that it's not allowed, or shouldn't be not allowed, I'm just saying that it doesn't fit the term.

Also, you should cite wikipedia if you're going to plagiarise their ideas. :p

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
As I said while it may not be plagiarism, if it is prohibited by the uni plagiarism policy and will be treated as if it is then thats all the OP needs to know. Honestly stop being so pedantic about the word, even law students don't argue this much over semantics. The OP did not want to have a long convo about whether it is stricly plagiarism, they wanted to know if they would be punished for it!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
And this thread is asking whether reusing your own ideas is plagiarism, not 'self-plagiarism'.
It's still plagiarism, just a more specific type, with it's own set of defining attributes. In any case, it's not allowed. :)

Also, you should cite wikipedia if you're going to plagiarise their ideas. :p
Was going to, given the nature of the thread, but I cbf.

zaxmacks

HSC
It's still plagiarism, just a more specific type, with it's own set of defining attributes. In any case, it's not allowed. :)

Was going to, given the nature of the thread, but I cbf.
Eh, this is basically an argument over semantics lol. What ever our thoughts are, both forms of plagiarism are wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)