• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Pilates, tai chi or yoga? (1 Viewer)

rozymisty

HSC
Which one/s have you done? Id like to take up one of them, or more, coz they look good for increasing strength etc. Plus with me being a nurse in 6mths or so time, I really need to have a good strong back. It already is bad kinda and pronating feet dont really help with the back pain.

So what do you all suggest?

nikmueller

HSC
pilates is a bit like a gym, mirrors around the place, strange instruments for working very specific muscles. seems more for oldies

yoga haven't done enough of, would like to start proper. good for flexibility, muscle development, meditative too.

tai chi excellent for meditative physical practice. more for balance and concentration than physical strength/general fitness.

rozymisty

HSC
Which one is best for toning butts etc lol I want to lose weight in time for my brothers wedding in late january

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I don't know, i don't like pilates because I never quite "got it". I would spend the whole hour wondering if I was breathing correctly and if my "core" was right. As a result I didnt get much of a workout. But people who do it regularly do seem to get pretty results.
I really want to try bikram yoga

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
definately pilates, it works the inner muscles
yoga is more of stretching and increasing the flexibility more than strength
my dad did tai chi, its like inner innner strenght or something, and he said it was peaceful. doubt that'll help your back.

=] i love yoga though if you have time i recommend it

lilfairy

HSC
Pilates will definately help with the butt and back as it strengthens the bodys muscle especially the core muscles but it is a bit harder on the body then yoga which is based on strengthening moves but in a more relaxed and slow manner

I love pilates because its great for stregth and flexibility and a little faster (more repetitions) then yoga, plus I would highly recommened it for your back over yoga but its up to you in the end they both have benefits...do both just alternate

Skeeta

HSC
I do pilates once a week. Even though it looks like you arent doing anything, if you do it "properly" (ie. flex the right muscles, make each movement purposeful) you work up a damn good sweat and you will hurt the next day. From pilates alone i've developed a bit of muscle tone and toned up (that being said, i dont have a lot of fat on my body anyway so that probably helps)

Yoga is more relaxing, more of a gentle stretching - although it can get a bit more intense, I dont have the willpower to stay calm for that long. It makes you more limber but is too slow for my liking (I'm hyperactive at the best of times)

rozymisty

HSC
My brother got me a few pilates kits that were on sale at Rebel Sports on Tuesday 2 wks ago, but I was only able to use it that night due to all the medical things ive had in the past 2 wks.

But i did the pilates thing where you lie on the mat and with the ball between the ankles, I lifted my legs up and did that 5 times. I found that really hard lol for starters but it was good. THen when i was sitting at my desk, I put the ball between my bed and desk and lied down with the ball under my butt and and lied down on my bed and hooked my feet under my desk. Boy did getting up from that position work the abs!

I woke up the next morning and my inner thighs were hurting a bit, but my lower abs were aching so much lol. But thats a good sign.

ANd now that my medical issues are, at the moment, sorted out, once I get my assignments sorted out, I will start up with the pilates again.

I am however not doing that one where you like lift your butt with your hands and kinda like do a head stand...that is not good for your neck i reckon, whether you've got a bad back or neck or not.

Skeeta

HSC
you support your neck with your arms. Most of your weight is distributed on your shoulders.

I recommend doing a pilates class for starters. The videos/kits are good but you'll probably get the most out of it if you understand the principles of pilates first. You'll get no benefit from doing the exercises wrong.

rozymisty

HSC
yeah i had been planning to do that, but with all my medical bills at the moment the classes will have to wait a bit.

rozymisty

HSC
WEll i started watching the pilates ball dvd that I got in august. I only did one exercise on the ball like where you move your legs foward and lie down on the ball. First time I fell off the ball and hit my head on the tv, and then the 2nd and third times I did it. I stopped there coz it was too awkward. I decided Im going to wait till I have a bit of money saved up, after 4wks of prac and not working, and then get my physiotherapist to teach me pilates and then do a few pilates classes.

I woke up this morning with very sore stomach muscles...and yet thats only with a few moves on the ball....I'd hate to know what they'd be like after a proper workout!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)