• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

part time job for uni student? (1 Viewer)

waterlml

HSC
Hi just finished my hsc and i'm going to uni next year, i'm looking to find a part time job during uni years, how many hours should a uni student work during the first year? i have no work experience and only want to gain some work experiences in my first year

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
^Excellent piece of advice from a respected member of the BOS community right there.

enoilgam

HSC
Repost

In terms of part-time work, tutoring is excellent, especially working for yourself. A private tutor can pull anywhere from $30-$70 an hour cash and you aren't really going to make money like that elsewhere. I ran my own small tutoring business for just over four years and I managed to earn more than enough to keep myself comfortable as a uni student. I did however cut back in my last year of uni to make more time for a job related to my degree and future career, but looking back, this was a mistake as I would have been able to handle it.

However, the main drawback of tutoring is the lack of regular guaranteed employment. That being said, the demand is definitely out there and the key to making it work is offering a high quality service, because word-of-mouth is essential to getting work. As a small business owner once told me "When you run your own business, you have to be competitive every day of the week". Working as a tutor isn't like working at Coles where you can get away with a half-assed effort, if you don't offer a quality service you wont get more work. It's that simple.

Speaking of Coles, another good job is stacking shelves at a supermarket. My mates work at Coles doing night shift (8pm-12pm) and they make $20.2 an hour, plus time and a half on Saturdays and double time on Sundays. From what my mates tell me, the work is pretty easy and for the money, it definitely seems like a sweet number.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
prostitution makes $$$

and u have to figure out how much to work a week yourself, some can handle 40hrs week, some cant even do 10

Last edited:

Confound

HSC
Look fot unpaid professional services work

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Repost

In terms of part-time work, tutoring is excellent, especially working for yourself. A private tutor can pull anywhere from $30-$70 an hour cash and you aren't really going to make money like that elsewhere. I ran my own small tutoring business for just over four years and I managed to earn more than enough to keep myself comfortable as a uni student. I did however cut back in my last year of uni to make more time for a job related to my degree and future career, but looking back, this was a mistake as I would have been able to handle it.

However, the main drawback of tutoring is the lack of regular guaranteed employment. That being said, the demand is definitely out there and the key to making it work is offering a high quality service, because word-of-mouth is essential to getting work. As a small business owner once told me "When you run your own business, you have to be competitive every day of the week". Working as a tutor isn't like working at Coles where you can get away with a half-assed effort, if you don't offer a quality service you wont get more work. It's that simple.

Speaking of Coles, another good job is stacking shelves at a supermarket. My mates work at Coles doing night shift (8pm-12pm) and they make $20.2 an hour, plus time and a half on Saturdays and double time on Sundays. From what my mates tell me, the work is pretty easy and for the money, it definitely seems like a sweet number.
To add to this, students who have a working knowledge of business processes at this kind of scale are well regarded. While your actual duties may be basic, your ability to make decisions which comply with a business's guidelines will be a plus. This is why it's not worth discounting these kinds of role even if they don't relate directly to your field.

Edit: This relates to the Coles-type roles but with tutoring, you are effectively running your own business so that comes with an additional set of skills as well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)