• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Orientation. (1 Viewer)

nml10

HSC
Uni Grad
So.. Orientation day and the beginning of my university life is coming up. I am excited yet nervous about the whole thing!

What exactly is going to happen on orientation day? D:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Nothing much to be honest.

Faculties usually present something to their first years to make sure they are informed about what they're about and what your degree is about.

If you want to join clubs and the like, it's a good opportunity to sign up during O-Week.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I heard we need an Access Card to join clubs and societies. Where can I get one and can we only sign up for clubs during O-Week?

Btw, thanks for being so helpful all them time OzKo :)
This is information pertaining to Semester 2 2011, but I presume most of these locations would be the same.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Do I have to buy an Access Card during O-Week? Or is it possible to buy it in the middle of the semester and join societies at any time?
Access Card is available for sale throughout the university year. Societies can be joined at any time.

zxreth

HSC
im confused, do we have to have access membership to join clubs/societies or can we join without it?

izzy88

HSC
im confused, do we have to have access membership to join clubs/societies or can we join without it?
Yes. Clubs and societies are run by the union, so to join clubs and societies you must be a member of the union. You become a member by purchasing an access card.

Do Sydney kids have to pay the Amenities Fee?
Yes. USYD students are required to pay the amenities fee. However since this fee goes to the university, not the union, the union still needs to sell access cards to get funds. As yet the Uni has not promised any of the funds will go to the union, so the union must operate as normal (ie and sell access cards). Hopefully the university will allocate SA funds to the union in the future and access card price may be lowered or removed.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the Faculty clubs don't need Access but I could be wrong there.

izzy88

HSC
I think the Faculty clubs don't need Access but I could be wrong there.
You are right. Faculty clubs are an exception - you do not need an access card to join them (eg. Law society etc).

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yes. USYD students are required to pay the amenities fee. However since this fee goes to the university, not the union, the union still needs to sell access cards to get funds. As yet the Uni has not promised any of the funds will go to the union, so the union must operate as normal (ie and sell access cards). Hopefully the university will allocate SA funds to the union in the future and access card price may be lowered or removed.
what a deplorable university

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I guess the Union is confident that numbers will still hold, and hence is still selling Access cards. Unlike UNSW, where the Union has sorta given up hope of anyone joining ARC, so is handing membership out for free this year.

But yes, getting whacked twice sucks, particularly for those who will find it difficult to fork out the money.

izzy88

HSC
I guess the Union is confident that numbers will still hold, and hence is still selling Access cards. Unlike UNSW, where the Union has sorta given up hope of anyone joining ARC, so is handing membership out for free this year.

But yes, getting whacked twice sucks, particularly for those who will find it difficult to fork out the money.
I think the difference is that arc has already managed to secure SA funding from the university, and thus it can afford to remove membership fees. USYD union however has no such deal and thus has to get as much money from other sources (such as membership fees) until it has sorted out a funding agreement with the Uni.

Its very frustrating, and I think people will be annoyed that they are getting hit twice for money - unfortunately it will be the union that will lose out in the short term as I suspect people will balk at voluntarily paying the union when they have already been forced to pay the SA fee to the Uni. I just hope the union and Uni sort out their differences and the union is able to secure SA funds :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)