• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

New Course? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I heard from my careers advisor that New South would be offering - Commerce (liberal Studies) :D, BCom (International), and BEco (Liberal Studies). Could anybody please confirm this? They are not listed in the Faculty of Commerce and Economics 2007 handbook.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
academic board report said:
The proposals for the Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) and Bachelor of Economics (Liberal Studies) were designed to be competitive with similar degrees at other institutions, and to provide a broad spectrum of study by offering compulsory study in at least two other Faculties. It was noted that students would still be able to undertake a combined degree (such as BCom BA). Members raised concerns with regard to the request for 100% exemption from General Education, but acknowledged the persuasive argument that students would undertake study in three Faculties. Whilst approval of these programs would appear to set a precedent, the Board agreed that future similar proposals would be considered on their own merits.
I'd say it's safe to say that it will be available sometime in the near future, however from my small Google search, I doubt it will be offfered next year. Is it offered at USyd? If so, you could go there and simply transfer into UNSW if you wish. I'd think about it carefully, I mean, apart from the Quadrangle, all their buildings are ugly.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
info about these courses (if they get approved) will be in the uac guide for 07 im guessing and thats not out until late july/early august.

why do you want to do an extra year of 'liberal studies'? when i went to usyd for the info day they told me that the course was dead set useless unless i had absolutely no idea as what i wanted to do for my majors, and that i was better off in a double degree.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
nah liberal studies implies exactly what it means - a liberal education. at usyd com lib you do subjects from commerce, arts and science including compulsory maths and languages units without having first-year accounting and economics as compulsory core subjects. the majors available were some of the commerce majors and a couple of maths majors. at unsw its going to be the same thing pretty much, on top of your commerce stuff you'll be studying from two other faculties (but doesnt specify which ones).

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Possibly. Liberal arts is in the works, from what I gather. I doubt it'd be ready for 07 entry however.

HSC
According to the USYD equivalant it would be similiar to

absolution* said:
Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) award course rules:

A total of 192 credit points
1 compulsory junior unit of study
2 award course majors
At least 24 credit points from the Faculty of Arts or Discipline of Government and International Relations
At least 12 credit points from the Faculty of Science
No more than 96 junior credit points
At least 132 credit points from the Faculty of Economics and Business.

Raginsheep

HSC
I'd directly ask the uni on the information days. Chances are, if its same UAI as commerce, then when you enrol, they'll give you the option to do lib studies if they're offering it next year.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Its a shame these courses are nothing that innovative, for example with the obligatory economics major one could have one arts major, instead its just regular comm/eco with slighly more bludge, sigh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)