• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Myth or fact? (1 Viewer)

gleeek

HSC
Today in maths my teacher told our class that school's only send BoS each students rank in a given subject, along with the performance of the cohort, where the BoS gives the student a mark based on their rank amongst their cohort. Is this true? I thought they sent in your overall mark and your rank.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Our teachers tell us they only send in our final rank to the BoS. They also send the final assessment mark but the BoS "throw out" these marks and start from scratch. The assessment mark you see on your HSC aligned is determined by your cohort's performance in the external examinations and your rank in the cohort for each subject. I have heard that they assume 1st will always be 1st so regardless of whoever gets the highest exam mark, the person who is 1st overall will have that mark as his/her assessment. E.g. If 1st cracks a 97 exam mark but let's say the person who is 12th cracked a 100, 1st would have 97 exam mark and 100 assessment mark. The rest of the marks are apparently scaled or something but this is just what I have learnt from our teachers.

gleeek

HSC
Our teachers tell us they only send in our final rank to the BoS. They also send the final assessment mark but the BoS "throw out" these marks and start from scratch. The assessment mark you see on your HSC aligned is determined by your cohort's performance in the external examinations and your rank in the cohort for each subject. I have heard that they assume 1st will always be 1st so regardless of whoever gets the highest exam mark, the person who is 1st overall will have that mark as his/her assessment. E.g. If 1st cracks a 97 exam mark but let's say the person who is 12th cracked a 100, 1st would have 97 exam mark and 100 assessment mark. The rest of the marks are apparently scaled or something but this is just what I have learnt from our teachers.
WHAT? With that logic it means that your assessment marks throughout the year and your final assessment mark is deleted?

But i think you just confirmed what my teacher was saying.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
WHAT? With that logic it means that your assessment marks throughout the year and your final assessment mark is deleted?

But i think you just confirmed what my teacher was saying.

Well think about it this way. If they were not deleted and actually genuinely used then what is stopping the school from giving all their students 100 assessment mark? It would also be very inconsistent and unfair for all students in the state if these marks were used for anything other than their rank in the cohort. Some schools might mark easier than others which would mean they might have lower assessment marks than a school that marks leniently. I know for a fact that my school marks harder than HSC standards and that our sister school does the same. It is the only fair way to ensure that all students in the state are on equal footing in terms of their assessment marks.

gleeek

HSC
Well think about it this way. If they were not deleted and actually genuinely used then what is stopping the school from giving all their students 100 assessment mark? It would also be very inconsistent and unfair for all students in the state if these marks were used for anything other than their rank in the cohort. Some schools might mark easier than others which would mean they might have lower assessment marks than a school that marks leniently. I know for a fact that my school marks harder than HSC standards and that our sister school does the same. It is the only fair way to ensure that all students in the state are on equal footing in terms of their assessment marks.
Yeah you have a fair point :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They use the marks that are sent in to do two things - determine the ranks within the cohort AND the gaps between the ranks.

The BOS need to know whether the 2nd ranked student was 1 mark behind 1st or 10 marks behind as that makes a difference to the aligned marks given in the final HSC e.g. if first was sent in with a mark of 97 but the top exam mark was 90 then that student will get a moderated assessment mark of 90 as that mark difference suggests that the school was an easy marking one but if 2nd was sent in on 95 then they would end up on 88 or 89 to reflect the closeness of the school's mark whereas if the school sent them in on 85 then they would end up with a mark of around 78 or 79 to again reflect the difference between the two students.

D94

HSC
N/A
This is all wrong. You have been misinformed.

Well think about it this way. If they were not deleted and actually genuinely used then what is stopping the school from giving all their students 100 assessment mark? It would also be very inconsistent and unfair for all students in the state if these marks were used for anything other than their rank in the cohort.
Schools can do this, it doesn't make things fairer or not. It just means all moderated assessment marks will be the average of the highest and lowest marks. Students will be worse off, their marks will be lower than if the school did it properly. So there is something stopping a school from doing so - it will give students lower marks.

Some schools might mark easier than others which would mean they might have lower assessment marks than a school that marks leniently. I know for a fact that my school marks harder than HSC standards and that our sister school does the same.
You need to understand the process of moderation. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

The school marks are proportionally adjusted such that they are moderated according to the cohort's performance in the HSC exams.

It is the only fair way to ensure that all students in the state are on equal footing in terms of their assessment marks.
No, moderation is the most fairest and most possible way.

D94

HSC
N/A
Today in maths my teacher told our class that school's only send BoS each students rank in a given subject, along with the performance of the cohort, where the BoS gives the student a mark based on their rank amongst their cohort. Is this true? I thought they sent in your overall mark and your rank.
I can assure you that schools send in the raw marks, not the ranks by themselves. Your teacher is wrong.

How can moderation occur without raw school marks? Moderated uses your raw school marks and your cohort's HSC exam marks.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

gleeek

HSC
So if the cohort performs virtually the same internally and externally, there will essentially be no difference?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
This is all wrong. You have been misinformed.

Schools can do this, it doesn't make things fairer or not. It just means all moderated assessment marks will be the average of the highest and lowest marks. Students will be worse off, their marks will be lower than if the school did it properly. So there is something stopping a school from doing so - it will give students lower marks.

You need to understand the process of moderation. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

The school marks are proportionally adjusted such that they are moderated according to the cohort's performance in the HSC exams.

No, moderation is the most fairest and most possible way.
Ahhh thank you. I apologise for being so misinformed. I had no idea the BoS explained this themselves.

D94

HSC
N/A
Ahhh thank you. I apologise for being so misinformed. I had no idea the BoS explained this themselves.
Don't apologise :) It's mainly schools which are at fault for misinforming or not telling students about the process or at least directing students to the informative links.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)