• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My english sucks and pop (1 Viewer)

Iccehy

HSC
Hi I.m in yr 10 and choosing my subjects very soon

My english is really bad, not speaking wise but writing and reading wise. I never had a good english foundation in primary school so I found it difficult to top my english classes in high-school.

I'm definitely doing standard english, that being the easiest out of them all (but still hard).
Please tell me if you we're in a similar situation with me! And how you found standard english???

Thanks

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Standard English shares 40% course content with Advanced English, that is key concepts (belonging and journeys). In that respect, the subjects are identical. However, in saying that, there is 60% unique content between the courses, and it is there you study different texts and ideas.

Standard English tends to have a more modern approach into the texts you study. You'll likely read teen fiction, and more "modern" genres, while in Advanced you tend to study more classical literature. In Standard English, you have one less text to study per year as compared to Advanced English (so one less book to prepare for in exams for example). Also, for Standard the questions for assessments are less confusing to understand; they are succinct and to the point, while questions in Advanced tend to have more complicated wording that can easily be mis-interpreted. You do not have to study Shakespeare in Standard English, while you must study at least one in Advanced English.

There is a common mis-conception that it is impossible to do well in Standard. This is not true. Anyone can get a band 6 (90+ mark) in Standard, it is just that the quality of candidature is particularly low, and so very few are able to achieve that mark because their skills in communicating are not to that level. But in saying that, the scaling for Standard is very poor as compared to Advanced, so in order to get a reasonable scaled mark for your aggregate score for your ATAR, you do need to put in the effort for Standard.

I hope this helps a bit. :)

Last edited:

MissyL

HSC
Don't worry I shared the EXACT EXACT same circumstances as you did like few months ago; thought I didn't have a good foundation in reading and writing. Anyways, it was really getting to me so i decided to call a tutor (and ofc as a rule, i would put in more effort with tutoring work), it was only the first lesson and she told me there's nothing wrong with my English; just lacking practice in concepts i.e. Text Analysis, which is pretty much high school english anyways. The only foundation you can ever truly have from primary school is your vocab and way of structuring complex sentences, otherwise when it comes to poetry, themes and essays you get them all at high school. Truth is you're not as bad as you think you are, you just might not be endeavouring enough. Just try a bit harder with English; make a vocab list, try to read and write more and if you can't do this spontaneously, get a tutor. Hope I helped...

MissyL

HSC
Also, NEVER, EVER do standard English. Just stick with the safe Advanced English where there is a higher amount of candidature and scaling; trust me there isn't a sliver of difference in the tests I've seen and done alot of those test papers myself

Iccehy

HSC
Haha thanks for your advice. I honestly don't think ill do well in advanced english. I'm gonna work really hard i standard and get the top band if not (well i hope if not) ^_^

:read:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)