• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Music 1 performance - any advice? (link included) (1 Viewer)

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
I have my music 1 hsc exam on the 16th for performance. Would you be able to give me advice as to what to work on? Links are included of all performances. The first video is from our performance night on Wednesday where parents and friends came and we presented our assessment pieces. The second video is from June, and is from an adjudication. I also have a composition which I handed in on Thursday and the Board of Studies now has it.

Angie (Core), Flame Trees (Elective 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vc9vkDtXWA

Bedouin Song (Elective 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnqjPRZ-Ea4

Do you have any tips? Trials didn't go well and I really need a good mark for these performances because I'm really bad at aural, and I'm not sure if the markers will respond favourably to my composition.

Thanks

vemanjj

HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, I've looked at what you've done. I did my music HSC performance today.
I can hear emotion in your voice and I can't tell if you're trying but you have to show that emotion in your face.
Everyone struggles with it so practice in front of a mirror. It helps to raise your eyebrows to light up your face :)
Look at the audience more instead of having your eyes closed so much.
Also instead of standing just straight, maybe move your hands just slightly, not unnecessarily but when you feel the need :)
I'm sure the markers wrote comments on your trial and I don't know what you mean by really bad but i'm sure you can figure out what went wrong.
If you know you get nervous, breathe into your diaphragm and hold it then breathe out to get rid of butterflies.
If you know your voice gets tired, take in hot water in a thermos and sip between songs.
The week before your performances you shouldn't be singing, you should be brrr-ing your songs or rrr-ing your songs (hopefully you know what I mean) and singing the words in your head
Hope this helps. All I learned from my teacher. It sure helped me :D

lukasheights

HSC
I have my music 1 hsc exam on the 16th for performance. Would you be able to give me advice as to what to work on? Links are included of all performances. The first video is from our performance night on Wednesday where parents and friends came and we presented our assessment pieces. The second video is from June, and is from an adjudication. I also have a composition which I handed in on Thursday and the Board of Studies now has it.

Angie (Core), Flame Trees (Elective 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vc9vkDtXWA

Bedouin Song (Elective 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnqjPRZ-Ea4

Do you have any tips? Trials didn't go well and I really need a good mark for these performances because I'm really bad at aural, and I'm not sure if the markers will respond favourably to my composition.

Thanks
I thought you did really well, particularly with 'Angie'.
Voice reminds me of someones... can't put my finger on whose, but the intonation and tuning was great.

Just the facial expression and looking more at the audience, and you'll nail it, trust me.
It's also about the communication with the you and the accompanist. Try and not forget he's there completely. (Y)

Good luck! I too had my Music 1 performance exam today.

acemusic415

HSC
Your performance is generally solid and sound but my teacher always emphasises that you need to enjoy it and demonstrate a sense of musicality - at least pretend to enjoy it despite the overriding nerves. I always say to my friends who are vocalists, do the Mariah Carey hands - just wave your hands and get into the song because it shows enjoyment of the song (to an extent). I know it's a ballad so it may be harder but try watching artists like Adele when they really get into the zone of the song and they're clearly enjoying it.

Also another factor its possible lacking is shape and contour to your performance. Whenever I assist a friend as the accompaniment, I always emphasise to them to establish shape and contour to their music so it isn't boring and not simply a basic linear form. For instance, I'll make her change the melodic line and play around with it. I'll tell them to experiment around and see if they can go higher simultaneously using the same lyrics etc.

This allows for variety which is another factor examiners are looking for. So in a popular song like the piece you're doing, it will have a very conventional structure, whereby the bridge will provide variety and the change in lyrics in the verses. However, the melodic line in the verses and choruses are still the same, so I'd suggest adding variety - perhaps ornamentation of a melisma or a more evident vibrato etc.

I hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)