• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Making an ATAR goal (2 Viewers)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Hey,

I have an atar goal of 96.2. When it comes to goals, I aim to have the atar i need and also 0.5 more added on to that. However, i also want to be realistic. I get the motivational talk of believing in yourself and that you can get the ATAR you want. It is not impossible and you need to put in the hard work too. So ofcourse even if you don't get the actual atar, you know you had a clear and precise goal that you worked hard towards, than if you had no goal at all or a vague "in the 90's somewhere" type goal.

I want to be confident and optimistic however don't want to take it as a breeze and think it will be simple, but then i get scared and think it is really hard aswell. I want to have a balance because i think sometimes i am abit too over confident or i am under confident. Any tips? What are your methods? Is being realistic meaning one is negative?

Examine

same
HSC
Having an ATAR goal of 99.65 has motivated me more than ever lol. I guess having a higher ATAR, even though not realistic, may make you try more. If you put the effort in I guess you might not reach it though you'll be closer than if you had a lower goal. This is only if you are truly motivated to try get the score.

Examine

same
HSC
Well I just think of the long term goal of doing law in UNSW. Most of the time if I'm studying for long periods I just listen to music to keep me sane :L (Edit - and for some reason, keeps me motivated lol)

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
1. Listen to music which hypes you above, as said by Examine.
2. Visualising what life will be like when you get into your course (Visualisation).
3. Reputation and trying to get school rank up to the 100s.

Those are mine >.>

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
I'm aiming for a 96.7 Minimum ATAR (For Actuarial Studies/Commerce) But I'm hoping for 99, for motivation, pretty much most of my cousins in Australia have gotten a really high UAI around 99 or so and been on distuinguished achievers list this makes me want to work hard, so I can live up to them, and not look like an idiot I guess.

I stay positive by thinking, that I can actually do it because I can, anyone can achieve their ATAR if they put the effort in.
Try not to get demotivated if you find something too hard on the way, and improve from it you'll feel a lot more motivated and confident
if you are able to learn from that mistake and keep improving which gives you a better feeling that you can actually do it.

Aysce

HSC
At OP, being realistic is not necessarily being negative. It is when you take into consideration your actual limitations and what is most likely to happen. Don't fret what might happen if you fail, keep moving forward. At this point of time the HSC seems like everything to you, most people around the state, and I, but at the end of the day (as many people on this forum have said), it is not the end. What YOU should be thinking after you walk out of that HSC exam is "I did the best I could, if I achieve my aim great, if I didn't, I know I tried my best and I'll make a comeback in uni".

2011_

HSC
If I were you I wouldn't set my heart on a specific number - I would just aim for, say, 90+ or 95+. That's what I did :)

qwerty44

HSC
Remember motivation is what gets you started, it's habit that will keep you going.

enoilgam

HSC
At OP, being realistic is not necessarily being negative. It is when you take into consideration your actual limitations and what is most likely to happen.
Very true, its extremely hard to work towards a goal which you can feel slipping away despite your best efforts. Be realistic, and base your aims on what you want to do at university. The vast majority of people who aim for a ridiculously high ATAR when they only need something small for their course end up kicking themselves when they get to university.

D94

HSC
N/A
Your actual ATAR goal is dependent on your HSC performance. A good HSC performance leaves you with confidence that your ATAR goal will be achieved. Why not have aims for all Band 6/E4 for your HSC subjects? They are somewhat easier to aim for because your ATAR is really out of your hands and up to UAC to apply their scaling methods.

Aysce

HSC
Unless it's undergrad medicine at USyd.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I've always thought why we all do ATAR aims (including myself) when afterwards, it means nothing at all. I mean, why not aim for say "B Laws at USYD" rather than "99.65 ATAR"...

Just a thought.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
David only had a stone and a staff and he did it...

Point is, you have everything you need to get >99 ATAR. My question is, will you? I know already you can do it.

D94

HSC
N/A
Unless it's undergrad medicine at USyd.
A good HSC performance is easier to achieve than an ATAR of 99.95. You have no control over how UAC applies their scaling methods, only how you perform in the HSC.

michaeljennings

HSC
In hindsight I wish I had been reading through the threads last year after the ATARs came out because im sure every year some people express their disappointment with the ATARs they received. This probably woulda been the easiest way to motivate myself having fallen short of my ATAR goal by a fair bit.

In year 10 my aim was to get a band 6 in all my subjects (which i achieved) but this was when i was one of the bottom 20 students at my school

At the start of Year 12 my aim was to stop procrastinating (which I did not achieve)

Halfway through Year 12 my ATAR aim was 99.8. I thought this was high enough to keep my motivated but at the back of my mind I kinda knew it was out of reach. I ended up with 99.25 which was disappointing because my externals were 1 or 2 marks lower than my internals for all my subjects

jnney

lemon
HSC
I've always thought why we all do ATAR aims (including myself) when afterwards, it means nothing at all. I mean, why not aim for say "B Laws at USYD" rather than "99.65 ATAR"...

Just a thought.
I wondered that too. But then again, I want to do med. So. Might as well 99.85 haha. I really hope I get 99+ though. we only have a year left that we will never get back, so why not try our best anyway? that's something i always keep in mind. :)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Set short-term goals along with this long term goal (ie having set ranks you want to come for different subs)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Also another way to keep motivated, is to have posters? I guess you could say around your room that's what my friend does and he says it works because he keeps looking at it and he makes him motivated and keeps him working because it's right in front of him in his room.

michaeljennings

HSC
Also another way to keep motivated, is to have posters? I guess you could say around your room that's what my friend does and he says it works because he keeps looking at it and he makes him motivated and keeps him working because it's right in front of him in his room.
I did something similar to this I wrote on a piece of paper what HSC marks I was aiming for, for each subject and on the wall right above my computer. It didnt help me much but might help OP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)