• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Laptops for lectures/tutes? (1 Viewer)

Von-Dyke

HSC
Just wondering what the general consensus on laptops for uni is by people currently studying? I've got a desktop that im going to take with me, im just wondering if its going to be worth getting an eeepc for notes and wifi at uni? Or is it more an aesthetic that can very easily be achieved by a notebook+pen?

edit: It might be wise to add that i've been accepted into Medical & Radiation Physics, would if be of use to this subject. Even so, i've got law/arts as my main uac preference if i get the req'd atar.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's worthwhile getting one. You'll find different mediums work better for different subjects. When you have to synthesise information, a notebook is usually better. When you have lists of dot points or ideas, and laptop is great to have.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I'd absolutely absolutely WAIT until you actually do a few classes before you buy anything.
Different people deal with different information differently (my brain is fried from exams), and you have to weigh up whether you feel it's worth the possible procrastination and theft (not so much of a problem with a netbook), considering the information you're dealing with. My flatmate just completed her Medical Radiation Physics degree by using a desktop at home and pen/paper at uni, so it's by no means necessary.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
As for arts, the only people who take laptops into lectures are the ones who are too busy playing games to actually pay attention to the lecture and should probably be at home instead. Probably on average one laptop for 3 subjects I see in third year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)