• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

king lear (1 Viewer)

skankit

we have to submit two readings of king lear by the end of next week, and im soo stuck
i mean i know what i want to say, but i just have no idea how to write a reading!! all the stuff my teachers given us is useful, but theyre all like 10page long things, ours only have to be 1000 words
i just wanted to know if anyone can help me, possibly send me their own reading or something?
prefearbly a feminist?

or else just help me set it out?

thanks guys

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Here is a Family Drama reading from my notes from last year:

o Lear as a mirror for the universal relationship between parent and child. Goneril and Regan as women who have led an unjust and abused childhood under a tyrannous father, who had always made it obvious that Cordelia was his favourite. Shakespeare himself shows them to be human, not just acting from unjustifiably evil personalities.
o Highlights the universal difficulties in understanding between the younger and older generations.
o Goneril and Regan; despite their love for their father, cannot continue living the life he wants for them, and must take a stand. Lear makes this harder than formal for them to do, which is why they end up doing the unforgivable things they do.
o Struggle between parent and child; in relation to that parent growing old and losing his or her mind. Parent must deal with the loss of independence, and the child must deal with the new dependence that the parent now has on them. Lear resents his children, in reaction to his loss of independence and power. Goneril and Regan therefore, are just in their treatment of Lear in the Beginning of the play, as to them he appears to be a difficult old man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)