• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is there a way you can fix a RAM slot? (1 Viewer)

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Ok today i noticed my computer was been way too slow using xubuntu, I then looked at hardware profiles and i noticed that it sayes 128MB of RAM. I thought to my self no i have 256MB, anyway then it clicked, that is what was causing my BSOD's when i was using windows.... so i opened the cover of my laptop and saw nothing wrong but i took out one of my ram sticks and turned it on, nothing. Then i realised it was in slot B (I am not sure if this would make a difference) and i put it in slot A, turned it on and it boots, then i took it out and put the other one in(also been 128, it had 2x512) slot A and it boots, so i have come to the conclusion that it was slot B not working, so I formatted it and put windows XP on cos that runs small amounts of RAM better imo.

But i am hating only having 128 cos i notice.
So is there a way to fix my RAM Slot?

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Open a window, throw out your PC and buy a new one for $500.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
russs said:
Open a window, throw out your PC and buy a new one for $500.
I am getting another one for christmas anyway it is just for the time been

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
no way to fix a fried Ram slot unless you just get a totally new motherboard. And even then, better off getting a new pc.

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
The RAM slot most likely has broken solder joints somewhere. Either that or the traces leading to the slot are broken in some way, shape or form.
I've fixed RAM slots before and they are a pain in the butt to fix. You need to have good soldering skills, an SMT solder station, a replacement slot from a donor board and a lot of patience. Try spraying dioxin into the slot first, it could just be oxidisation to one of those golden pins on the socket.

strjms72

HSC
Watch out with dioxin because it really is very dangerous, as in, a main cause of cancer

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I am not going to bother fixing it i want a new laptop anyway and i am running XP now anyway so it is running at a reasonable speed.

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
you should hit it with the crucifix you have recently been masturbating with.

Blazamane

Banned
HSC
shinji said:
no way to fix a fried Ram slot unless you just get a totally new motherboard. And even then, better off getting a new pc.
I disagree, generally it is related to broken solder hence can be resoldered though unless you have steady hands it is not worth getting it done.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
yeah i am capable of soldering i have done it before... but my laptop died yesterday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)