• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is Maths ext2 manageable without an external tutoring service? (1 Viewer)

KanyeWestLover1247

HSC
I'm in year 11 right now, starting year 12 next term. I'm really stuck on whether or not I should do extension 2 maths, and the application deadline is next Friday. So far in extension 1, I've done well, ranking 2/43 with the help of an external tutoring firm. However, because of financial restraints, if I pick up ext 2 maths I will not be able to take up any more tutoring. Also, I don't know if I'll be able to handle the workload from the combination of subjects I'm planning to do next year (currently ranked at least top 5 for all except English advanced):

- English Advanced
- Maths Advanced
- Maths Extension 1
- Engineering Studies
- Physics
- Chemistry (Likely to drop)
- Music 2

For people who are doing or have done ext 2 maths for the HSC alongside other "harder" subjects, did you take tutoring and if not how did you manage?

P.S. I'm looking to do some kind of engineering degree in uni (preferably USYD or UNSW) which I've heard ext 2 is not a required subject but is helpful.

Please help me 🙏🙏🙏

WeiWeiMan

HSC
I'm in year 11 right now, starting year 12 next term. I'm really stuck on whether or not I should do extension 2 maths, and the application deadline is next Friday. So far in extension 1, I've done well, ranking 2/43 with the help of an external tutoring firm. However, because of financial restraints, if I pick up ext 2 maths I will not be able to take up any more tutoring. Also, I don't know if I'll be able to handle the workload from the combination of subjects I'm planning to do next year (currently ranked at least top 5 for all except English advanced):

- English Advanced
- Maths Advanced
- Maths Extension 1
- Engineering Studies
- Physics
- Music 2

For people who are doing or have done ext 2 maths for the HSC alongside other "harder" subjects, did you take tutoring and if not how did you manage?

P.S. I'm looking to do some kind of engineering degree in uni (preferably USYD or UNSW) which I've heard ext 2 is not a required subject but is helpful.

Please help me 🙏🙏🙏
It’s my only subject but ngl, you don’t neeedddd tutoring, I just assume it’d be useful

iloveeggs

HSC
it is ideal to do tutoring for both e1 and e2 bc you have access to good questions for practise and support obv but i totally understand the financial side of things. there are a lot of ppl that dont do maths tutoring at all and still do perfectly fine self studying so i wouldnt say it is a must but it will def help to some extent

in my humble opinion if you can afford to do tuition for e1 or e2 maths, like an either or situation, do tutoring for e2 maths and self study for e1. if you cant go tutoring for maths at all, thats fine, maybe invest in textbooks/resources with practise questions (you can borrow them from the library or buy them second hand)

i dont reccommend dropping e2 as a whole bc you cant do tutoring for it tho

also your subjects are content heavy but since you are doing so well already id assume youll do fine managing the workload

funnytomato

HSC

- English Advanced
- Maths Advanced
- Maths Extension 1
- Engineering Studies
- Physics
- Music 2

Please help me 🙏🙏🙏
I personally didn't go tutoring for maths for my HSC and I think I did okay for it.
Hypothetically speaking if I could chose again I would have gone tutoring and could have benefited with better guidance (not necessarily just for higher marks but more so for being challenged and motivated in a better way).

But anyways in your case I think you'll be fine without tutoring as long as:
1. You plan your time accordingly and commit to it throughout the HSC journey - It would be time consuming but plan your efforts efficiently and commit to it consistently would help.
2. Build your foundations (get low hanging fruits) really well which include both:
- a) be really familiar with standard/typical questions of each topic and avoid marks lost in easy-medium questions ( bear in mind a 2 mark in Q11 is not worth anything less than a 2 mark in Q16 ! )
- b) avoid 'silly mistakes' and 'no/bad working out' issues where applicable to you - for different people it could mean different things as there may be gaps built up from all the way back from year 7 but those would not be too intellectually challenging to fix. Those are more so a habit/mentality/awareness thing.
3. Try to learn ahead and in more depth by self study and don't be complacent with your school rank/marks. Your school schedule may be slower compared to the other schools (which would leave you with less time to prepare for HSC practices) and potentially the questions could be less challenging than the actual HSC so you could gain exposure to harder questions as eventually that is what you need to solve in the HSC exam.

And in terms of subject choice in your scenario I would highly recommend to do extension 2 because:
1. It would be highly relevant for your engineering degree at uni ( I could be biased but 4u HSC maths could be relevant/helpful than HSC level physics or engineering studies)
2. It would be beneficial in terms of your ATAR as well based on what you described. e.g. being in 50th percentile in maths extension 2(HSC mark 86, scaled mark 91.6) would give you a higher scaled mark than 99th percentile in engineering studies(HSC mark 96 but scaled mark 91.0)

Yananisback69

HSC
you dont need it, out of everyone in my 4u class, some kids dont go to tutoring and they are performing alright highest one that doesnt go tutoring is ranked 6th out of 19

carrotsss

HSC
i never did tutoring and I did fine in 4u, as long as ur willing to put in the work to self study you’ll be fine

coolcat6778

Banned
HSC

- English Advanced
- Maths Advanced
- Maths Extension 1
- Engineering Studies
- Physics
- Music 2

Please help me 🙏🙏🙏
No fucking shit it is. All you fucking need is a textbook and listening to class teacher. Why waste time, even if money is not a problem?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)