• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is 13 units an uneccessary amount of units for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

HSC
im already struggling with my workload and also trying to study for each subject every night. i do the subjects below and because i do all humanities and english it's just too much content. Which subject should i drop? Im thinking of english extension 2 because i suck at it :(

muzeikchun852

HSC
drop it if you think you are struggling.. if u think you suck at EE2 drop it. stop wasting time on something that you aren't good at : )

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Try breaking your studying up; instead of trying to accomplish large amounts in a certain time; just do little things. Whether that be read a chapter of a text /source, make a summary for a single dot point or something like that. Trust me, I know what it feels like to drown in the copious pages of notes for these humanity subjects; so try breaking everything up.

As you would probably know, the ATAR only requires 10 units (2 of the being English), therefore you have the flexibility to drop at maximum 3 units.

If I were you, I'd be discussing this issue with others, whether that be parents / friends / teachers / etc. Mainly because, once you're in this mindset of 'I can't do it, I'm struggling, I'm sinking" it's difficult for clear decisions to be made. So talk with your teachers about your progression in your subjects, maybe discuss a few strategies to help combat the heavy work load. You do two extension subjects, so I'd make sure in the least that you talked to your teachers of those extension subjects about the trouble you're having. Particularly your Extension II English teacher, and if they think it would be best to drop EE2 then considerate it.

Try not to stress to much. If you work hard throughout the year, there 'shouldn't' be too much to panic about at the end. Keep your head up, stay strong and best of luck! : )

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
You pretty much have 2 major works don't you? That's a lot of work for some people. If you're struggling with the workload I'd suggest you drop something. EX2 if you suck at it then.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
EE2 or economics... but only because I loath economics... and legal studies... and english... and history... drop everything... drop out... NAO!

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
to OP, if you are finding it difficult to cope with, it is best to consider dropping some units, preferably the one you are not good at or have least interests in. In all honesty 13 units is a one unit too many lol

before you come to a decision, it is best to discuss with teachers, year advisors and parents so you can come to a good conclusion/decision. If you come to a decision now, it is likely its a rapid and quick decision without much thought placed into it.

good luck with your studies

NubMuncher

HSC
13 units is a lot, especially considering all of your subjects are content-based.

I suggest dropping something, because as you get closer to your trials and HSC, you will need to remember heaps.

On a side note, I can't imagine the pain your going through with your subjects; I am struggling to stay motivated with my content-based subjects, and I only do 2 !

HSC
Uni Grad
I was thinking of dropping down to 11 units as well... probs gonna drop my worst subject..

muzeikchun852

HSC
that's probably the case as of now but I'm still trying to lift it up so that I won't say goodbye to it and keep all 13 units :p
dropped physics straight away when i saw motors and generators.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
personally I think 13 units is a waste because only 10 will count, (2 units of English) so really 8 best units of your choice. but if you're one of those "have a safe back-up" people then i recommend keep it, because you've come this far, may as well do the rest. but it's really annoying you then drop what ever is causing you the most grief.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are struggling, drop whichever you have the worst result in. My sister did 13 units in HSC but she did not have so many content subjects as you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)