• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Importance of assessments (1 Viewer)

j12onuzim

HSC
I recently received the results of a physics practice, which I bombed (faulty equipment) and ended up coming second last in the grade. This really worries me- I am average at physics- not that great but not terrible. I'm worried that this will affect my overall mark.

I'm aiming for a band 6 though so how can I improve? How many hours of study would you recommend? How should I study?

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Amount of hours to study and way to study is relative.

But if you truly want a band 6, I would suggest rather than just memorising content understand it.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
if you had faulty equipment, im sure you could have talked to your teacher about it. for the amount of hours you should spend for physics, just spend as much time as you need to understand the concepts however you shouldn't forget about your other subjects too. I think the other thread on General Discussions on HSC 2014 answers your other questions.

out of curiosity, which prac did you do?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It is not how many hours of study you do-i.e. one hour per day is good but if you procrastinate half of the time over a hard question, then it is kind of useless, so it is about quality of study-how much you understand out of each study session rather than studying for the sake of fulfilling a certain amount of time, I actually posted the following tips already in another reply, but the following is my key tips for physics

1)find your passion-whether it is a particular area of physics, for me, it was astronomy, or whether it is the way your physics teacher teaches, or whether any part of physics relate to your future university degree-i.e. science-because if you are able to genuinely love the subject, you will work harder than others and you will reap the rewards

2)start looking and doing HSC physics question in the same topic you are studying at school UNDER EXAM CONDITIONS-I can't stress the capitalised letters enough, because if you don't manage your time-you will get a shock in the actual exam where you realise you have so less time left to answer the same questions-check your answers, or better, ask your teacher to mark your answers-repeat this process and you can't go wrong

3)always read as many HSC physics textbooks as you can-i.e. at least 3, because each textbook will have extra information that will enhance your understanding that another don't-and don't neglect to understand all the diagrams-you need to put more diagrams in your notes-notice in past HSC papers, there is almost always one question that requires you to draw a diagram of some sort-and learn to label your diagrams clearly of course

4)I know that at the start of physics-not many people like to help classmates with the mindset that I want to preserve my own ranking, but as I reflect upon my HSC year, I realise that teaching other students/struggling or otherwise physics when you have spare time is the best way you can enhance your understanding-because the person who teaches actually remember much more than the person who is taught, and likewise-try to find some people with similar abilities in your class to do regular group studies-this is so helpful because the questions these people ask will enhance your own understanding if you manage to find the answers-because they are also usually questions you also don't know

5)Ask the teacher, do as many trial papers as you can, ask questions on bored of studies if you don't understand-don't be afraid to ask or make mistakes-because it is only by making mistakes that you do learn

6)enjoy the journey-it is tough, but it is rewarding-in physics, understanding and applying the knowledge is much more important than just pure rote learning-and try to make connections across modules so everything is integrated-i.e. the Michelson Morley experiment from space and Quantum theory-proving light has a due particle-wave quality in ideas and implementation are all contributions by Einstein related to a reconceptualization of the light model...hope this helps-anymore questions-welcome to pm me

don't let a bad prac affect your positive mindset-just learn from it and keep trying hard-band 6 is possible if you do the above consistently throughout the year:)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, faulty equipment is pretty lame to lose marks over. Which prac and what context? You should still be marked on what you did.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, faulty equipment is pretty lame to lose marks over. Which prac and what context? You should still be marked on what you did.
This. The only thing important is the procedure and method you did in the prac.

miasa

HSC
N/A
But how important would a 30% weighting assessment be?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
But how important would a 30% weighting assessment be?
Worth 15% of your HSC. Arguably, I would still say 0% because you haven't done your HSC yet.

This time next year, it would be worth 15%.

D94

HSC
N/A
I recently received the results of a physics practice, which I bombed (faulty equipment) and ended up coming second last in the grade.
Unfortunately, this is very rarely a satisfactory reason for incorrect or invalid data. It's up to you to recognise this on the spot. Happened to me before and at uni, and if you present seemingly invalid data, it is determined to be your fault.

Yes, it has the potential to affect your overall marks. You need as many marks as possible, to put you in a competitive position when marks are moderated. All you can do now is do well in your other assessments.

D94

HSC
N/A
Worth 15% of your HSC. Arguably, I would still say 0% because you haven't done your HSC yet.

This time next year, it would be worth 15%.
I believe the OP is in Term 1 of Year 12 (which usually starts in Term 4 of 'Year 11'), so given that, it does affect the OP's marks.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I believe the OP is in Term 1 of Year 12 (which usually starts in Term 4 of 'Year 11'), so given that, it does affect the OP's marks.
Yes I know. The only reason why I said 0% is because it is possible to end up not doing the HSC or in the end, he may just receive his own examination mark for his assessment mark if he is the only person in class or he is miles ahead of the competition in his class (happened to me for MX2, because everyone else bombed out).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)