• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to get better? (1 Viewer)

Shazer2

HSC
Hello fellow BOS'ers,
As you can see I am doing Economics at the moment, and was just looking for a few pointers..

Firstly, I'm having trouble understanding everything. Production Possibility Frontier and Production Possibility Curve(s) were two things I had a little trouble with (I had opportunity cost covered :p). Anyway, I was wondering how I can improve my skill in Economics and get a mark greater than 85?

Any tips, please feel free to leave them here.

~Shazer2

Last edited:

Examine

same
HSC
Hmm, not sure how you can find those concepts hard.. Anyway I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. What I do is write revision notes after lessons to revise over what I learnt. I also use the textbook during this because I personally don't bring it to school.

Revision is key br0s3ph

Last edited:

Shazer2

HSC
Hmm, not sure how you can find those concepts hard.. Anyway I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. What I do is write revision notes after lessons to revise over what I learnt. I also use the textbook during this because I personally don't bring it to school.
I haven't studied at all this year, but completed all homework to date. In junior years, I never studied once and never really did homework but still got a reasonable mark.

Take note, I sit with a distracting person, who should be leaving soon. My teacher said that I should be able to understand it if I keep going, and the guy that sits with me, when he leaves I should learn more too.

It's all stressing me out not being able to take it all in, I want to get a good mark. :)

tOnnyAyye

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm.. I struggled in the preliminary course for economics, but I had the passion/desire to do it because i had an interest in doing it. I am currently in my HSC year and I had developed that interest because the topics are related, such as the use of monetary policy to maintain inflation.

Like what Examine said, revise the content you have learnt on that particular day. (I didn't do this and thats why I got a pretty bad result). Also, if your struggling with anything, ask your teacher as soon as possible. (I regret not doing this during the prelims....) Every time I don't get anything, I straight away talk to my teacher. It's okay if you ask during class because there may be someone else in the class who may also not understand, but if you want to, ask after class, or even after school =]

I know my tips are elementary, but revision plus support is key to economics and you must utilise it effectively if you want to do well !!!

Reply back if you want ! =]

tOnnyAyye

HSC
Uni Grad
I haven't studied at all this year, but completed all homework to date. In junior years, I never studied once and never really did homework but still got a reasonable mark.

Take note, I sit with a distracting person, who should be leaving soon. My teacher said that I should be able to understand it if I keep going, and the guy that sits with me, when he leaves I should learn more too.

It's all stressing me out not being able to take it all in, I want to get a good mark. :)
As my teacher always say to me "DON'T STRESS !!! Your making me worried if you get stressed !" (Yeah, thats true) She's been telling me this over and over and if you do stress, you are more likely to not being able to fully understand the content in the lesson, therefore you have to spend additional time at home to relearn it.

STUDY !!!! If you continue to be like this, you will struggle in the HSC. Take a minute or two to understand that the last two years of high school is important. But year 11 is like a testing ground, so if you are making mistakes, don't worry, because year 11 doesnt count towards the HSC. Use year 11 as a year to develop strong, effective habits, such as study consistently or stay motivated and you will realise that year 12 will be easier to manage. While doing homework is great, consider whether or not it is important as it may be tested. For example, the production possibility frontier/curve, the homework may ask you to draw the curve with the given table or to answer questions such as "What is the opportunity cost if the company produces 300 shoes?", and consider whether the skill here is important. In this case, it is important as it is one of the dot points in the syllabus. Again, use the textbook or ask the teacher if you struggle.

Try sitting at the front of the classroom, that way you can concentrate on what the teacher is saying or on the board.

Hope this helps ^^""

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Ask the teacher for help if you are stuck on things, you shouldn't be afraid because then they can also explain to you in better detail, and also make sure to try and understand what notes you are putting onto paper/typing up.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Make great use of your teacher!
Ask them after class if you don't get something!
It's better to ask if you need help rather than struggle and be like "WTF AM I DOING?!"

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
In regards to the PPF, what was the specific issue?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Well basically you just have to practice.

The PPF is really simple, I'm not sure what would trick you.

Ask your teacher. Or pm me and I might be able to sort things out for you

Shazer2

HSC
I've got a pretty good concept on what we've learnt so far in Economics. The teacher is really helpful!

2U Maths is another story! (Mixed Factors :blink2:)

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
Read, highlight and then summarise your textbook.

Shazer2

HSC
Yeah, that's a good point. My standard English teacher is a pain, did like 20 extended answer questions (paragraphs) tonight and then she expects us to highlight a 10 page recount and annotate it too.

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't always count on your teacher. Some teachers are just terrible at teaching and cant explain for shiz. So its better if take your time to sit down and make some notes and re-read them until you understand them and some teachers gives you work that is irrelevant and a total waste of time, dont spend too much time on them focus on the important stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)