• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to extend your vocabulary in english? (2 Viewers)

tambourine

HSC
how do you extend your vocabulary in english? because i've tried different ways but i can't seem to remember the words :s

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Re: help?

It comes naturally. Exposure to books, reading newspapers, articles.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

tambourine said:
how do you extend your vocabulary in english? because i've tried different ways but i can't seem to remember the words :s
Read SMH.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

yeah, just read some cultured articulate books.
i have been doing this also of late.

tambourine

HSC

wow i didnt think reading newspapers would help lol..but if it works :)...you people seem smart lol..academia and scholarly..i know what they mean but i would never think to use them

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

tambourine said:
wow i didnt think reading newspapers would help lol..but if it works :)...you people seem smart lol..academia and scholarly..i know what they mean but i would never think to use them
But as Charity F said, dont go near the Daily or Sunday Telegraph. It's shit.

tambourine

HSC

ok question...do yous think getting a tutor, going to summer school and 'studying in the holidays and non stop during school' is too much?

tambourine

HSC

tanjin said:
But as Charity F said, dont go near the Daily or Sunday Telegraph. It's shit.
haha i'll try to remember that..so SMH is fine?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

tambourine said:
ok question...do yous think getting a tutor, going to summer school and 'studying in the holidays and non stop during school' is too much?
Getting a tutor is fine, but honestly i wouldnt unless you find an extremely good one.

Summer School - Wouldn't do it. You'll need a break.

Working non-stop during school - is MURDER. Consistency is all you need.

SMH is the best. :D

Kujah

HSC
N/A

SMH's website pretty good.

But I still prefer the readers-friendly layout of the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

tambourine said:
i guess i'm dead already then haha
How would you study for english non-stop anyway :confused:

Edit: Yeah, Kevin i like that about the telegraph too, but the material is crap. SMH is better for reading.

Last edited:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC

omg this is weird but i've just started with the whole vocab thing last night. I get some words which would be quite useful to know and use them as much as I can in my everyday life.

"I find that portentous prick with the calumnious expression as a threat to my malefactions"

ahah im not sure if that makes much sense, but it does sound confusing. =] but yes, i shall also start reading SMH. Shall be fun .. :)

tambourine

HSC

just study in general..not english only..but yeh im not that good in english...i wish i was coz i like sounding smart like u ppl

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

sle3pe3bumz said:
"I find that portentous prick with the calumnious expression as a threat to my malefactions"
:confused:

In english please. You might be trying a bit too hard. lol

tambourine said:
just study in general..not english only..but yeh im not that good in english...i wish i was coz i like sounding smart like u ppl
You don't have to sound like an intelligent person to be one. If you can get the grammar, spelling and structure right, you'll be fine for english.

Oh, and techniques. Learn as many as you can.

tambourine

HSC

i can spell, my grammar is ok...i know quite a few techniques but yeah i need to know more...but i can never write the effect of the technique...i started ext 1 english in yr 11 to learn new and big words but dropped it within 2 weeks coz i couldn't think in the way which it requires you to...and as you can probably tell i can't explain things properly coz i can't find the right word :(

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

EE1 doesn't teach you new techniques or 'big words'.

If you dont know what effect the technique has, you dont really know the technique.

Find a technique and see what effect it has in the text - what does it highlight?. It's really that simple. If you google it - you'll find a few pages, which lists techniques and their use. :)

I hope I'm making sense!

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC

tanjin said:
:confused:

In english please. You might be trying a bit too hard. lol

You don't have to sound like an intelligent person to be one. If you can get the grammar, spelling and structure right, you'll be fine for english.

Oh, and techniques. Learn as many as you can.
lol yeah i just gathered 3 words from my vocab list and try to put it into a sentence. ^^"

[edit] but also, i find that although what tanjin mentioned was the main focus of where you get your marks, a great vocab really helps you gain those very few extra marks. Esp. with my teacher.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

sle3pe3bumz said:
l[edit] but also, i find that although what tanjin mentioned was the main focus of where you get your marks, a great vocab really helps you gain those very few extra marks. Esp. with my teacher.
Agreed. Having an extensive vocab certainly makes writing a whole lot easier but if you use too many of those 'big words' it'll sound shit and your explanation may not show through.

tambourine

HSC

so we google 'language techniques and their effects'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)