• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How much chemistry is enough? (1 Viewer)

Cziffra

HSC
N/A
good day! i'd like to know how much chemistry you need to know to start medicine in australia. i'm wondering as i'm an international student and studied a different curriculum.

do the following terms sound familiar to those of you who're doing final year chemistry in australian high schools?
-Sn1, Sn2 reactions, metal ion complexation, electrophile/nucleophile, stereochemistry

do you guys study both organic and physical chemistry in year 12? it'd be truly awesome if you can tell me the content of your year 12 chemistry curriculum. e.g. acid/base, kinetics, equilibrium....

for those who're already studying medicine, does your school help you to brush up on the key concepts in chemistry and other general sciences, e.g. spending the 1st semester teaching general physics/bio/chemistry before going on to "real" medicine in the 2nd semester and thereafter?

i'm quite concerned as it was over a year ago when i studied chemistry.....becoming very rusty on the subject already.

thanks guys! :)

Last edited:

shafqat

HSC
N/A
From what you've said I think you know more than enough to study medicine. At unsw chemistry is only assumed knowledge anyway, so there are plenty of students who havent studied it at all and are doing fine. If you feel uncomfortable you could do a bridging course as a refresher, but I think you'll be fine.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
What you said sounds more like what's being taught currently in first year chem rather than HSC chem.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
chemistry in monash medicine is not really as important as biology, although chemistry is compulsory for some reason

the extent of what we covered was basically different types of bonding, osmolarity/osmolality, some biochem (which is learnt anew anyway) and basic things like that.

You'll be fine.

Keen

MD
HSC
At Adelaide Uni we pretty much don't need to know any chem, some biology is helpful but not needed.

Keen

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's more detailed chemistry than I learned here in first semester, so you sound more than sufficiently prepared.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)