• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how do you remember stuff?? (1 Viewer)

anonamiss

well i sreiously have BAD memory
and whenever i study, only 1/4 of the things get in
i always do my hw, but when we have topic tests at skool, i forget almost everything i've learnt.
this seriously pisses me of

and i find it so unfair that my friend, whos the biggest bludger, gets higher marks than me. she hardly does hw, and hardly studies for exams. i dont know why, but maybe she has better memory than me?

lol
is there any pills out there that you can take so that you remember things? HAHA. i know it might seem like cheatng, but i really need help.

i believe alcohol is to blame for my memory loss. lol

*sigh

any tips? suggestions?
thanks!
:D

smittenkitten

Poopinator
Hey I have dodgy memory as well....if I don't understand something as it's being taught...I find it near impossible to remember it later on when I try to study...I do all my homework as well and still get pretty substandard, dodgy marks. :p

There's those stupid health pills those health places sell that insist they better your memory...I'm sure they're just vitamin supplements that are spose to be good for the brain...I'd rather eat decent food than take pills though.

Try changing your study techniques...and figure out whether you learn best listening, doing or experimenting....

anonamiss

lol
hmm i understand where your coming from

ive done this aptitude test and it said that i will learn the best from doing and experimenting.
i guess its true, cos after all, i am a practical person.
and i totally agree with you on the understanding smething as its being taught.

yeah well i drink alot of milk these days and i dont know if its helping or not, but i am getting alot of pimples! LOL!
i dont eat vege's cos i just hate it.

*sigh
im terrified of the hsc, cos i find it so hard to remember stuff and i get shit marks (around 60 to 70% for most subjects, ie, business studies, adv english, I.T Vet, IPT and 2U maths)
damn alcohol.
:mad:
i used to have really good memory until i started drinking that shit
LOL =\

what do y'all rekon ill get for my UAI at the rate im going? =\

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
I have crappy memory too! :D :mad1:
It used to be decent, damn it.

Anyway...
I find memorising in the morning to be MUCH more helpful. It's fresher. At night you're kinda worn out and your brain is tired.

And there are actually pills that claim to improve our memory. I haven't tried them so I can't confirm their reliability and usefulness (man, this sounds like source analysis for history :D ).
I remember one called Brahmi pills or something like that.
They're at the chemist, you can ask them.
I hate taking pills so I haven't tried them.

ellipsis

HSC
Originally posted by anonamiss
any tips? suggestions?
thanks!
:D
Acronyms. They are the key to my studying world. :uhhuh: :uhhuh:

It began a long long time ago... (well, year nine, but I'm rarely consistent with anything, so this itself is proof of success :D) and we were doing commerce exam on discrimination. Having not studied, just before the exam a friend devised PRAM SHIT and we went in and aced it.

Seriously, its excellent because just knowing the first letter prompts your memory.
I mean to this day I can still recite them :rolleyes: - physical disability, race, age, marital status, sex, homosexuality, intellectual disabilty and transgender. :D

My problem comes whenI have to remember too many topics, so then you need an acronym for your acronyms...

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
eat pork... so alot of people say. just keep on studying and doing questions.. u remember from doing all these.. and the pram shit works too! i use to remember alot of things.. like the processes for ipt and bio and stuff

really useful.. and dont use those drungs/viatmins that claim to enhance ur memory.. i think its a load of bs.

Rahul

Dead Member
best advise woul be to go over and over and over.....

repetition is the key....if its abt studies then try different techniques and approaches to study. for eg, if u have a mic, record ur notes onto ur comp, burn it, and listen to it.:rolleyes: :cool:

Huy

HSC
N/A
mnemonics :)
(the 'pram shit' method... but extended into tunes and lyrics)

they are not so much acronyms, but mnemonics.

i've got a bunch of things in my head that i can remember
most of it useless or irrelevant :p

for ipt students:
"come on all students, pat the dog!"

(collecting, organising, analysing, storing/retrieving, processing, transmitting/receiving, displaying)

:cool:

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
stolen from my study skills book:

reading - 10% efficiency
listening - 20%
observation - 30%
observe and listen - 50%
discuss with others - 70%
experience with others - 80%
teach someone - 95%

0_O :chainsaw:

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
yeah i agree that nmonincs (sp) and acronyms are good...

i also agree with Bon that taking Brhami is good... i take Brahmi, Ginkgo and Rosemary tablets every morning... about $13 per bottle of 40 from woolies

i also reckon repetition is the key to success... if you read/write something enough times, come exam time you'll be able to visualise yourself reading/writing it...

anonamiss

hehe
thanx guys for your suggestions and tips!
i really appreciate it..

i wonder if those tablets have side effects?
thats the one thing im realy scared of
and can you really see improvements ?

L'annee Douze

Don't just try and learn the facts

Know the concepts inside out. If you don't know the background and the bigger picture of what you are studying, you have no hope other than relying on memory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)