• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help Needed Re: Research For Project (1 Viewer)

Nerissa

Hello to everyone! Am new to this board, so I'll make it short and sweet. I need help regarding my Independent Investigation - I am doing Spain's General Francisco Franco (as I am a Latina :rolleyes: (yes...I know...how sad...but if your dad talked about it every night at dinner for 17 years, it'd pop into your head too) and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could recommend useful resources, primary and secondary, that would help me, and also point me in the direction of schools of thought...I already have royalist, communist and fascist, but was wondering if there was anything else...(Wow, that was a long sentence) Also, could anyone give me tips on how to keep the proposal short - mine was 5 pages :eek: and it needs to be one. I am an Ancient girl, so if any of you need help with a project question dealing with antiquity...feel free to ask me (not that I'm a super genius or anything). Also feel free to pm me anytime. See my post in the 'case study' thread also...God, I sound like an encyclopaedia.
Huggles,
Nerissa
PS - Hey to grk_styl if you're out there!!
PPS - My email is below if you'd like to send me anything (and in the words of the Principal of Rydell High in Grease, "let's keep it clean, folks")
icenerissa@hotmail.com

Elliot III

Hey Nerissa!I'm sorry but i don't anything about Franco, but I might be able to help with the proposal. If you base it around the points in the syllabus, Preliminary research, Enquiry Questions, Research Intentions, it should be a bit shorter.

I was wondering if you could help me. My project will be focusing on Howard Carter's discovering of the tomb of Tutankhamun. At first my question was to be about the mummy's curse but there wasn't much on that. I've decided to focus on the debate over the methods used by Carter, did he discover the tomb before notifying the public, was the tomb looted, was the muumy's curse a cover up for organised death of those who 'knew too much'?

Do you think I'm focusing on the right aspects? I only seem to find sources which propose that his discovery was a sham, only one side of the debate. Do you know of any other source which indicate otherwise or historians which argue against this case?

Thanks!

Nerissa

Hi Elliot III (cool name, you sound like a 15th century king)! I have based my proposal around the syllabus points (our teacher gave us an outline sheet) but it was still five pages - I only got 5 out of 10 for it because of that (thank God it was only the first draft, not the actual thing!) and am now working on getting it down to 1 page at most (most of my classmates only handed up half a page). Second draft due this week. I love Egypt - I think your topic sounds interesting, but have you checked it with your teacher (I was accidentally going to research one of the syllabus case studies)? Also, are you sure there is enough information on it? I suggest you visit one of Sydney's universities (or its website) and make an appointment with a professor / lecturer in Egyptology and speak with them about it. While you're there, you could also check out the uni's library (kill two birds with one stone) - the state library is also great. Have you tried looking at biographies of Howard Carter, or archaeological journals / newspaper articles from the year / decade of his discovery (you might have to go searching through publications' archives to find the juicy stuff)? I'm not sure whether he has a memoir, but if he does, definitely read that (you never know, you might find some holes in his argument yourself!) You might also try to contact (or maybe look up on the web) museums / institutions that hold some of the artefacts from the tomb - they might have information on the issue - or the Egyptian Government's Department of Antiquities to find experts on the site. As to whether you are focusing on the right aspects, I have only two tips - one, make sure you really enjoy the topic, and two, remember the focus is on historiographical issues / schools of thoughts, in other words interpretations rather than facts. Hope that helps.

PS - If you know of anyone who has Franco resources, I sure would appreciate them!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
omg, u can make appointments with professors and stuff?! actually i know u can but i would be a little too intimidated to actually get anything useful from it, provided the professor agreed to see me in the first place!!

Elliot III

Thanks so much!!!!! Really good idea to get interviews with professors!
Good luck on your project and I'll ask around for Franco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)