• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HELP! b comm/ b law (1 Viewer)

heli

HSC
hey, im a first year comm/law student.
im having trouble understanding how units and credit points.
yes i have tried to read the handbook, but it just makes my head spin faster.
im totally freaking out about what units to pick for my first semester and what the hell to do with my time table.
some help would be much appreciated!

heli =))

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
BCom LLB - Bachelor of Commerce with the degree of Bachelor of Laws

Graduates of the BCom LLB degrees will be entitled to admission for professional practice in New South Wales, subject to the requirements of professional training. The program will contain all subjects required by the authorities concerned with professional practice and necessary for admission to the College of Law.
General Requirements

1. Minimum number of credit points: 116
2. Minimum number of credit points which satisfy the requirements for the degree of Bachelor: 68
3. Maximum number of credit points at 100 level: 30
4. Minimum number of credit points in units with a LAW prefix: 74
5. Minimum number of credit points in units with a non-LAW prefix: 33
6. and completion of other specific requirements as set out in the Schedule of Undergraduate Programs

Programs of Study

* ECOL02 - Economics + Law
* FNCL01 - Finance + Law
* LAW07 - Commerce + Law

That's your degree structure, you can choose which sector you major in and the relevant requirements/subjects by clicking the bottom three links.

A core subject (those listed in the links) are 'prescribed' or required to be undertaken if you wish to complete the degree. If you click on the relevant link and then the unit (subject) it should take you to a page showing you information on what its about, when its offered, (D- Day 1-First Semester E-Evening X-External 2-Second Semester 3-All Year are the relevant codes for the semester the unit is offered in.)

Usually, Macquarie students complete 4 subjects a semester, most subjects will have a description of how many credit points they are worth, for the most part it is 3 credit points for first year/second year subjects and 4 for higher years.

tha-ish

HSC
tha subjects u hav 2 du first semester are:

jurisprudence (law114)
macroeconomics (econ110)
stat 170

second semester:
law104
microeconomics (econ111)
econometrics (ECON 141)

hope that helps

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
You could also major in accounting which is very handy depending on where you want to take your law degree when you finish. I guess it depends what you enjoy... I don't think I ever would have considered accounting until I was thrust into it in uni. It actually turned out to be more interesting than I thought... and if you have an accounting degree, there is work everywhere, both in Australia and overseas if you want to travel.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&vid=21216" target="_blank">ACCL01 - Accounting + Law</a><br />

Although, the legal practicing limitations would be there and finance, economics, marketing, etc, may have the same characteristics. I guess just work out what you are interested in and you should be fine. Additionally, the commerce degrees are so similar in first year that if you don't like what you're in then you can change very easily in 2nd year, provided you do well enough.

Last edited:

heli

HSC
wow, thanks for everything! my mind aint spinning as fast as it was.
im unsure of what i want to major in for commerce.
im picking between either accounting or finance? which would be the wiser choice. i personally dont have equal like and dislike for both.

Tabris

HSC
If u choose finance, there will be maths involved which means less first year electives and also number crunching, if u are not comfortable with 2 unit maths i suggest u dont choose it unless u are really enthusiastic about it.

If u choose finance( B com - finance/ B law, not Applied finance / B law)

semester 1

LAW114
ECON110
ACST101
STAT170

Semester 2
LAW104
ECON111
ECON141
ACCG105

If u choose Accounting

Semester 1
LAW114
ECON110
ACCG100
STAT170

Semester 2
LAW104
ACCG101
ECON111
ACST101
ISYS123 ( or u can do this next semester)

In short, Accounting can be difficult and frustrating i u have not done it before, it gets tedious and very very long, it will chew alot of your hours. Quite a few people here had some bad experiences with accounting when working through it. But the good thing is that u will be eligable for CPA which means lots of opportunities.

But if u choose B commerce - economcs/ B Law:

Semester 1
ECOn110
STAT170
LAW114
<insert elective>

Semester 2
LAW104
ECON111
ECON141
<insert elective>

Isnt that abit simpler??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)