• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

graphics tablet (1 Viewer)

kokeshi

HSC
N/A
I'm interested in buying a tablet but I'm unsure where to look. I'm thinking to spend $100-$250. Something reasonably priced as well as a decent size. (6x8 inches maybe?) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Mog, did a quick search on eBay. I tell you, they are a gold mine for students with no money. Just make sure you watch the auctions in the last 5 minutes to prevent manual snipers like me from stealing your goods.

Actually, there aren't many here at all. But, I guess it's a start. Good luck, and happy hunting!

eBay search results

Agent Z

HSC
did you try something like
harvey norman
or
dick smith electronics??

I know apple brought out one recently...looks pretty sweet..too bad PC's arent as well designed

MrMiK

eek. no .. dont go harvey norman.. they r
"HEY.. i gots an idea.. lets charge 200%... yee"... not cool

i was in the visual arts forums and someone asked.. ill copy that post
i was lookn at getn a cheaper but allright one .. i might get 1 wen i start workn cuz i find i do alot of stuff on the comp..

look at theAipTek 6x4.5 for $109.00
or the
AipTek 8x6 for $207

they come with a cordless mouse i think.. and its got a real good resolution.. and allright pressure levels..
this is what i was going to get because its a cheaper one.

Some say u should always go Wakeon
theres the cheaper Graphire 2 for $117.27..

i find alot of people get the cheap AceCat ones.. they're the ones with a lil cat on the box.. personally i avoid trends :p
but all that was for a budget near $100 (im cheap :D)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ahhh nice....been thinking of getting one myself....the mouse, even dual optical...just doesnt cut it anymore when trying to do paths and fine attention to lines and stuff....

oh well....back to mousing in photoshop since there really isnt any chance of me being able to afford anything anytime soon

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
i have a graphics tablet its cost around $70 and it also writes chinese .. so i dun fink the brand is well known.

http://www.hw99.com [ not in english -.- ]

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
...:confused: Is there any difference between a graphics tablet and a wacom tablet? Is wacom a brand? Or something?

Oo... don't I sound ditzy.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
i don't get it, what stops any other graphic tablets from being able to write in chinese???
when you write chinese it changes into the chiense the font, so you can printed it off in for documents

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by sukiyaki
when you write chinese it changes into the chiense the font, so you can printed it off in for documents
ohh,, ok, so its a bit like OCR, except that it recognises (or tries to) ya handwriting?

kokeshi

HSC
N/A
thanks you guys!

Originally posted by Daemontreu
Is wacom a brand?
yeah wacom is a brand. it seems quite popular. I think I will get a wacom tablet.

Originally posted by sukiyaki
when you write chinese it changes into the chinese the font, so you can printed it off in for documents
that's really cool and convenient.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
Originally posted by Agent Z
uhhhh...but what if your not chinese
then you buy some other one.. its just useful instead of doing strokes .. and you used the pen instead..

ohh,, ok, so its a bit like OCR, except that it recognises (or tries to) ya handwriting?
yup thats rights hehe

Huy

HSC
N/A
Handwriting recognition, as well as digital ink will become very popular in the future. You fcan see it now with Office incorporating digital ink (able to write in your own handwriting and have it converted into text) and other forms of handwriting recognition.

Most users will have heard about the Tablet PCs, making use of a stylus to control movement (cursor).

It's an exciting technology, and you can try it out today, just visit any (reputable) computer store, and they'll probably let you have a test-run with a Tablet PC, or show you the features, eg handwriting technologies.

MrMiK

There are so many things that a tablet and recognition could be used in....
i was at the uni when there was a company trying to sell them a .. well.. kind of a tablet whiteboard system.
It consisted of a projector and screen (2 models either front or back lit), and a box in the top left of the screen which sensed the proximetry of the 'marker'.
This did handwriting regognition and a load of other things, very impressive.... too bad it cost a bundle tho

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Handwriting recognition, as well as digital ink will become very popular in the future. You fcan see it now with Office incorporating digital ink (able to write in your own handwriting and have it converted into text) and other forms of handwriting recognition.

Most users will have heard about the Tablet PCs, making use of a stylus to control movement (cursor).

It's an exciting technology, and you can try it out today, just visit any (reputable) computer store, and they'll probably let you have a test-run with a Tablet PC, or show you the features, eg handwriting technologies.

lol, i myself cannot read my handwriting sometimes- so how can u expect a computer to. :rolleyes:

Huy

HSC
N/A
lol, i myself cannot read my handwriting sometimes- so how can u expect a computer to. :rolleyes:
My handwriting is recognisable on my computer.

(Try using a mouse + OneNote, or TabletPC input)

It'll recognise characters, pretty advanced IMO.

(it "smooths out" your handwriting, even if it's jagged, it'll make it more cursive, which is great).

:)

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
What size did you get?
Is it better to get a bigger one, or can you just scroll across and edit bits at a time with a smaller one?
(Because the second smallest size is a whole 100 bucks more expensive...)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hello again.

I'm not sure whether this really applies, but if your parents are thinking of getting you a laptop for uni (which would be a VERY good idea) then consider asking them for something like this. It's about the same price as a normal laptop but the whole thing is a graphics tablet, a beautiful tool for your needs. Just a thought. :)

Again, the link: http://www.ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?M

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)