• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

First preference regarding medicine UNSW (1 Viewer)

zhiying

HSC
Okay my understanding of these UAC preference stuff is fairly limited...so could someone please enlighten me on my situation.

There's pretty much only 2 course I want to do: medicine and commerce (actuarial studies major), both at UNSW

Currently I have medicine as first preference and then actuarial. I'm fairly certain my ATAR is high enough.

Let's assume my UMAT and interview scores were enough to get me medicine, but then I decide I want to do actuarial studies so I decline my first offer of medicine. With my ATAR (99.75), would I be fairly safe in getting a second offer for actuarial studies?

I wish they told me if I made it to medicine or not earlier...if my ATAR + UMAT + interview weren't good enough then why not just tell me so I can take it off preferences.

Now let's say I DON'T make it into medicine, would that affect my chances of actuarial studies since it's second preference?

Thanks!

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Yes. You should be safe, 99.75 + bonus points would put you above 99.95.
(Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems like they will take someone in that position?)

No. Putting it as 2nd preference won't affect your chances.

enoilgam

HSC
With the whole UAC entry process, you recieve an offer for your highest preference which you get into. So if you fail to get into your first 5 preferences for instance, you will make it into your sixth. So putting actuarial wont affect your chances. If you make medicine and decide against it, then I'm pretty sure you can switch your preferences after the main round (if I'm wrong here please clarify).

zhiying

HSC
Oh okay thanks guys, I'm just saying is it possible that commerce fills up because x amount of people put it as first preference. So when they consider me who put commerce as second, there wont be any spots left, even if my ATAR is high enough

also at the moment I still haven't decided really, I don't even know if I CAN get into med ==

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)