• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Finance Subjects (1 Viewer)

Herb-Q

HSC
N/A
What finance subjects (besides core) would you recommend?

I heard that Applied Corporate Finance, FINS 3625, is highly regarded by employees. Are there any other subjects that are particularly useful?

Any advice would be appreciated. :smile:

Garygaz

HSC
i'm 1 subject short of finishing my major; most enjoyable subjects thus far would be:

- venture capital, lots of case studies, feels really relevant, lots of marks from class participation, weekly case studies and group report, which i enjoyed.

- securities analysis (26 something something), focused on options and other derivatives. another course which has real world application. worth a look.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
no subject is "highly regarded"

ive done 3641 - id do this again

i plan on taking 3640, 3635

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Top 5 UNSW Finance Subjects

Are you interested in getting into the financial markets and are currently studying at UNSW? Having done 13 finance courses in the undergraduate program, what would I recommend?

Keep in mind that this will be quite a subjective post, subject by experience. However, advice is always the best way to pick subjects as some are truly terrible and are not reflective of what their title suggests they will teach. Also, bear in mind that nothing I recommend will be due to the subject being "easy". If you are doing finance, it would best be because you really enjoy the course and want to learn as much as possible - being pushed along the way. Won't make your millions taking the path of least resistance...
Read More

Must Do Subjects

- Securities Analysis and Valuation. When? Do it while doing International Business Finance, after Portfolio Management.

- Applied Corporate Finance. This is a tough one, doing SAV first helps though, learn good materials though! When? Semester after you complete SAV.

Highly Recommended

- Options, Futures & Risk Management. When? Later on in your degree. Why? Brilliant for getting a good understanding of the derivative markets, which are a huge part of the financial markets.

- Behavioural Finance. When? Later on in your degree, when you have a true appreciate for real world application and valuation. You can do this earlier but I don't recommend it, in order to truly appreciate the subject you need a bit more academic experience.

Recommended by Others

- Venture Capital. Not done by personally, with regret, by recommended to me by many others.

So there you have the top 5 recommended UNSW Finance subjects. What about the not recommended? I will list the subjects I've been warned off, or personally don't recommend and why.

Not Recommended

- Wealth management. Definitely do it if you plan to be a financial advisor, but it's a useless subject otherwise and I personally thought it was a poorly run course.

- Investment Management Modelling. As of 2010, this course is NOT recommended, despite the useful sounding name. I was going to take it until many warned me off- poorly run with no structure. Maybe in the future it will be better run, seek referals from others in later years.

- Emerging Capital Markets. Poorly run apparently.

- Extract from Damons Blog

taken from www.student2trader.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)