• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Extention 2 Maths (1 Viewer)

d-alarmclock

HSC
I know there have been a lot of threads about this, but I wanted to see if anyone had any new opinions.

I am currently in year 12, studying 4 unit maths. How much studying should I be doing? Right now, I only complete the prescribed homework and attend tutoring. Should I be doing more? Same goes for any other subjects (Advanced English, physics, chemistry, 3 unit maths, society and culture).

Thanks

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hello, I've written this in the past somewhere numerous times but I am happy to share my opinions once again.

How much studying should I be doing? Should I be doing more? This is a very difficult to answer, we don't know who you are, your abilities etc. So I think a better way is to not measure the amount of hours you are putting in, but rather have some kind of checklist that you can tick off.

Now specific to maths. Other than the obvious, do your homework etc, past papers etc - A good way to approach it is to never be satisfied with solving a problem. Think to yourself, can I think of this problem in another way? Do I really understand each question? Or am I following a algorithmic process that I don't understand. Also think about 'why' something is like that rather than solely focusing on the 'how'.

Lastly, try to ask questions. Doesn't matter if you don't understand something, it is always good to ask.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
"Should I be doing more?"

Simply put, for any subjects, the answer to this question ultimately lies within yourself. Do you think doing more work will increase your understanding and your exposure of the variety of questions on a particular topic or subject? How much more work can you do? What ATAR do you want to get, what marks do you desire-and do you think the amount of work you are doing is suitable for the marks you are aiming for?

Ultimately, you should spend your time according to which subject is the hardest and which subject you are also performing the worst in. You will know whether you should be studying more by establishing short term and long term goals such as marks, ranks, etc-and if you can achieve what you desired with your current work load-it means what you are doing is enough, if not, you probably should be doing more (again, it is hard to advise as you haven't disclose what your tutoring homework usually is-how much is it and how often do you get prescribed homework). You should probably include some past HSC questions in all your subjects as practice under EXAM CONDITION(provided you have attained a complete understanding of key concepts before you attempt any HSC questions).

But regardless what you do, the most important thing is to make sure you are doing full working out and checking all your answer with the answer given or get your teacher/tutor to mark your homework, and make sure to avoid making the mistakes you have made again to maximise the purpose of you doing the work allocated. Hoped this helps a bit and my best wishes for you to have brilliant results for the HSC year:)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Lol I have completely neglected my 4u homework oops

But the amount you need to do depends on what you need. If you're seriously struggling, you will obviously need to spend more time working on the subject. If you're fine, it's okay to spend time on other subjects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjrow

HSC
Really with ext2 you should be doing more, but although you are only one term in, it will get harder and with certainly demand more time. Maths is practice, the more time and questions you do the better chance you have of getting a good mark. With your other subjects you need to find a balance between your subjects.

The more study you can do the better, but you have to develop a system that will keep yourself interested and focused. In my opinion during these holidays try and get an upper hand on English by getting your related texts sorted, doing creative writing and belonging essays. This will help with the work load next year and help you with preparation for your exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)