• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ext 1 English Subject Selection Help (1 Viewer)

broly_29

HSC
I am in yr 10 and soon have to choose my subjects for yr 11. I am thinking of doin ext 1 english but i am not quite sure what the differences are between ext 1 english and 2 advanced english (other than extra periods)? How hard is it to score high marks in ext 1 english compared to 2 advanced english?

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
I loved ext. 1 when i did it.

At first i was apprehensive because i didn't really like english in years 7-10 even though I recieved good marks. But because yrs 11 and 12 english is very much different to what i had previously experienced i really enjoyed it.

If you enjoy english and can write fairly well already then you shouldn't have a problem with EE1. I found that, whilst a higher level of skill was expected to receive top marks, the topics themselves weren't necessarily harder than Advanced. In fact, they were more enjoyable which, in some cases, made them seem easier. This is different to something like Maths E1 which is not only more maths, but harder maths. EE1 to me wasn't vastly harder english, it was just more english.

it is harder to get high marks in EE1 but if you do your work, and study hard and already have some sort of high literacy you should be fine. Then again, this is true for any subject.

All i can recommend is that you choose what you think you will enjoy and what you feel you will ultimately be able to excel in in order to get top marks. After all, that is the whole point of years 11 and 12.

good luck :)

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
I do ext at the moment, and in fact, my trial exam is tomorrow. I hate it.
Seriously, don't do it unless you are really good at english and enjoy reading poetry and shit.
I think the syllabus is changing for you guys, but the stuff we are doing is irrelevant and pretty boring.
Personally though, I don't find the essay component of the subject very hard because if you know your stuff, then it's really easy to write an essay on it. However, I am really crap at the creative section and that's where everything goes downhill for me.
My teacher told me in Year 10 that I would do really well in ext. and that creative writing etc wasn't a bug part of the course. He lied - the HSC has two sections, one essay, and one creative writing, worth equal marks.
So the point to my rambling on, not to dissuade you from choosing it, but to warn you. I wasn't very committed and now I am paying the price. Instead of bludging and getting in trouble for talking too much in class, I should have paid attention. If you're willing to do that, then choose it.
Overall, if you are good at english, it's easy to get good marks (most of the time).

lala2

Banned
HSC
It's much more enjoyable than Adv English. You get to read more into the texts, and engage with deeper, more philosophical ideas. However, keep in mind that everyone else doing it will be capable of it too, and if you don't feel confident about your ability or you'd rather not have the challenge, then perhaps you should not do it. That's the mistake I made--I only stayed because the teacher who recommended it to me was a good teacher and *knew* what he was talking about, and because of my Year 12 teacher, who was also really good.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
remember, you dont HAVE to keep the subject for yr 12 if you find it isn't working for you in year 11.

Treat Year 11 as a trial HSC year, see what works and what doesn't rather than falling into the "it's only year 11" trap like so many others.

The teacher will also be a major influence on whether or not you enjoy the subject.

dombro

HSC
extension is great. seriously, u could do so much worse than doing extension. whilst it still has the same sort of ideas as the 2 unit course, its a lot more free flowing. generally youve got a much smaller class, and everyone whose doing it really wants to be there, so it tends to be more productive than a regular class.

As far as content goes...depending on what you're doing depends on how much you'll enjoy it, of course. But you get a better selection and range of texts to look at, so again, it tends to be more enjoyable.

Of course, if you're looking at doing it, its in your best interest to really enjoy doing english, because occasionally concepts do get fairly heavy, so you do need to concentrate- but its worth it....so....DO IT!!!! lol....:) :) :)

subjectiv

HSC
N/A
EE1 is pretty interesting most of the time, especially if you're into humanties, etc. though i think some of the stuff we learn is irrelevant and way too.. old. for example, we're doing le morte darthur at the moment. every lesson is so BORING! i don't care if it's in the english canon. king arthur sucks and i fall asleep everytime i open the book. but anyway, don't let that deter you. the workload is manageable, and if you're good at english then you'll probably have fun.

emRkate

HSC
u shld do it its my fav subject i was a lil worried about the workload but i find that its not that much work because its fun, at my school our extension class is only 5 people and we r studying frankenstein in all its various forms...including the rocky horror show. i think how much u like extension depends on the teacher...so u shld probly try dn c who ud get. i suggest if ur worried pick 13 units that way u always hav the option of droppin ur extension if it becomes too much or really boring...which i doubt it will if ur extension is anythign liek mines bin this yr

HSC
extension english is good, really good, it introduces concepts beyond the level of understanding required in advaned

and because the nature of the course is very subjective (well, it is english), it allows you to argue about certain aspects......isn't that right live.fast

:)

good luck in wateva u choose

Sofstar

HSC
Ext 1 english is heaps cool. I find it easier than advance, lol. For advance you tend to switch topics more regularly and in ee1 you stick to the same topic most if not all year round. I don't find ext 1 anymore more work than the other subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)