• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Environmental ethics (1 Viewer)

dieHSCdie

HSC
i was just wondering if anyone knows anywhere where i can find some good info regarding enviro ethcis in islam, christianity or buddhism. i have notes of course but i think i need to read more on the subject so if anyone can help that would be great.:)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
dieHSCdie said:
i was just wondering if anyone knows anywhere where i can find some good info regarding enviro ethcis in islam, christianity or buddhism. i have notes of course but i think i need to read more on the subject so if anyone can help that would be great.:)
Good luck on that

Islam is the most environmentally ethically friendly of the lot then comes Buddhism (though I dont know how ethical it really is) then Christianity which revolves around the notion of Gods creation and stewardship (yawn!)

i suggest looking for specific environmental groups (religious of course) and go from there. Maybe the textbooks have these details for you to start from?

Ange22

HSC
hey dieHSCdie have you got your notes on environmental ethics on the computer to post up here? i don't have any notes on it yet so any would be awesome - especially the Buddhism ones.
cheers!

x_ekooC

HSC
hey dieHSCdie have you got your notes on environmental ethics on the computer to post up here? i don't have any notes on it yet so any would be awesome - especially the Buddhism ones.
cheers!
That post was from 2008...

But I will post some notes on environmental ethics for Buddhism for you and others.

Buddhist ethical teachings on environmental ethics can be directly linked to the teachings of Buddha, in particular the Noble Eightfold Path. These are the right thought, speech, effort, actions, livelihood, mindfulness, concentration and right understanding.

The moral code which dictates the daily lives of all Buddhists is evident in the Five Precepts which all adherents are expected to follow. The first precept instructs one 'to abstain from causing harm'. Buddhists interpret this principle fundamentally, meaning that no harm should be inflicted on any living species.

The origins of Buddhist environmental ethics can be drawn from the life of Buddha himself. His birth, enlightenment and passing all occurred beneath native trees such as the Bodhi tree and this had a profound impact on the belief of living in harmony with nature. During his life, Buddha encouraged compassion for nature, and as such is now viewed by adherents as the spiritual and compassionate protector of all living things. This concept is applied to not only humanity but also animals and vegetation.

The Buddhist concept of living in contentment is based on the understanding of living in harmony with all nature. Buddhists are encouraged to live a life without selfishness and to avoid bringing harm to the environment, with a clear focus on preservation and protection for future generations.

Buddhist temples and meditation retreats sit in harmony with their surrounding environment and are modern examples of the Buddhist commitment to maintaining a harmonious relationship with the environment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)