• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Entrance to residential colleges (1 Viewer)

Croompets

HSC
Ok started a new thread because I just realised that other thread was quite old and no one answered my question. So here goes.

What i'm wondering is what I would need to be accepted into a residential college. My family is moving to France at the end of the year so I really need to find accommodation. I also moved to a new school this year so I missed out in getting into high grade sports and getting captaincy etc. I also do quite minimal extra curricular activities and my marks will be alright (around 80-90 most probably).

so what i'm wondering is, what are my chances of getting in. I reckon i will be at a disadvantage, but is attending a residential college a pipe dream for me. Also is there anything i could do to improve my entry, such as applying early etc.

thanks in advance for the replies (if i get any this time lol)

izzy88

HSC
To be honest it really depends on the individual colleges - there is no hard and fast rule that is used to see who gets in (apart from probably if you got 99.95). The colleges all value different things and use their criteria differently - what they value or give preference to may also change in any given year eg. 2012 they may seek to get some more music students etc or something along those lines. - depends on the principal.

The family moving to France will probably help you, as colleges try to give preference to students who need accommodation in sydney (and that would include you), just make sure you are clear about it in your application. However it isn't everything - some colleges have about 50% students that come from sydney and it really depends on who is appling etc.

Chances of getting in really depends on the year - some years there are lots of students applying, in others there aren't. Some of the colleges have expanded in recent years and are able to take more students. The highest UAI possible will help you, because most of the colleges value academics, however it is not everything.

Colleges also want students to get involved - sport/music competitions etc - or at least showing you are willing to be involved in the community (going to events etc) rather than being a spook who is always in their room/people don't know they exist. So try to make that come across in your application. :) As for improving entry - the earlier you apply the better probably - as I know people who have been offered spots earlier than normal - but the main thing is just not to miss the deadline!

Croompets

HSC
Oh thanks i've got an understanding. I have lacked doing sport etc but I definitely want to get back into them, college or not. One question on applying early, would that be considered now, or would you be able to specify the earliest month appropriate for applying?

izzy88

HSC
Um to be honest i'm not sure about exactly when to apply - i didn't enter college any kind of normal way (half way through second semester of first year).

I would just look at the websites of the colleges and see when they start accepting applications - women's college for example doesn't even appear to have the application forms up yet for next year, so I doubt you could apply now (and since you are a boy, you can't apply anyway- sorry i went to womens college, so i know the most about that one, which isn't particularly useful for you). However St Andrews (from a quick look at their website) are accepting early applications now - apparently you can apply online. I would look through the websites of each of the colleges - if they say they are accepting applications for 2012 then I wouldn't think there is any harm applying early - if the colleges aren't accepting applications, then just periodically check websites to see when they will accept applications, or give them a call and ask when they normally open them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)