• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you need to study any humanities in high school to study Commerce in Uni? (1 Viewer)

Seomate

HSC
Hi! I was wondering if you needed to have studied any humanities subject in high school (eg. Business Studies, Economics etc.) in order to study Commerce/Economics/Business in Uni. I have seen the assumed knowledge for Commerce and it states only states Mathematics? Can someone please clarify this for me? Thank you! :)

Simran-

HSC
2U mathematics is the only assumed knowledge.
Business studies and economics aren't a "must", although they will provide a good base and understanding of what you might study in a commerce degree.

Jinks

HSC
They help for the first 2-3 weeks but after that it's new stuff anyway, you won't be disadvantaged at all if you have no commerce related subject experience

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
No. University commerce content is much more in depth. Hsc / prelim content touches only the very miniscus.

enoilgam

HSC
Some universities have 2U maths as assumed knowledge, but apart from that HS humanities subjects arent needed. Economics, Business Studies and to a lesser extent Legal Studies may help a bit for some core units, but it isnt really much and the content that crosses over is easy to learn.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
absolutely not. In fact; some people were studying all sciences and extension maths only to get into things like law/economics/commerce/etc

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
They help for the first 2-3 weeks but after that it's new stuff anyway, you won't be disadvantaged at all if you have no commerce related subject experience

this. Helps for maybe a few weeks and might carry you through, but won't make much difference come midterms.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
No, it's only useful for most of the first year core units for about the first half of each semester. Most of the first year content is common sense stuff.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Business studies will help with financial statements - balance sheet/income statement.

Economics will help with supply and demand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)