• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you need a textbook for preliminary modern history? (1 Viewer)

Allons-y

HSC
Hey guys, I was told that since there are so many optional topics for modern history that a getting a textbook wouldn't be a good idea unless its based solely on the topics that you are studying at school, is this true? And if so, do we just have to rely on non-textbook resources like online/library books? In the same right would going to a modern history tutor be beneficial or a total waste of money/time? If not can anyone recommend me any detailed and in depth modern history textbooks.

Thanks and happy holidays!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Your school should provide you with a textbook! :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^My school barely ever provides textbooks.

My school never uses textbooks for senior history, like ever. Needless to say I got through Prelim Modern History fine.
And my school's best performing subjects include the histories.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^My school barely ever provides textbooks.

My school never uses textbooks for senior history, like ever. Needless to say I got through Prelim Modern History fine.
And my school's best performing subjects include the histories.

Oh and I think history tutors are weird things, but history has always clicked with me. But I don't think it's really one of those tuition type subjects. Much of it is just rote learning and writing. Though, my sister made money out of being a Modern tutor and I might do that once I finish (if my results are good enough to attract customers lol).

avro

HSC
My school uses readings, documentaries and general class discussion to consolidate our learning for Modern History.

We had to purchase our textbooks. We used Retrospective year 11 Modern History. It was good as it included chapters on the year 11 core (World at the beginning of the 20th century) and also included chapters on the hsc core (WW1). Textbooks are good I guess for notes at times, although for Modern you should not rely solely on them. My textbook was also good for providing a bunch of primary sources which we could incorporate into our responses.

In response to your tutor dilemma, if you feel that you're really struggling with the content/essay writing, then maybe get one. Give it a term and see how you go.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I have done some tutoring in Modern History and what I have generally found it that some students do struggle with the concepts of the course but most tend to struggle with the idea of incorporating some historiography into their essays - so it is essay structure. Most students think that historiography is just a lot of quotes but all that proves to the markers is that a person can memorise quotes. They also often don't know how to read the questions. It isn't that they don't understand the meaning of the directive term but they dont' know how to apply that term properly to Modern History questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)