• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you lose marks if you write to much (1 Viewer)

RIZWAN

Do you lose marks if you write to much e.g. if it asks for one reading/perspective and you do two readings/perspectives do you lose marks?
Thankyou for any sort of help:argue:

Leap

free falling
HSC
No you don't lose marks, but there are several reasons for not writing more than is needed - for example, its a waste of your time and you're better off doing one in lots of detail than two with not enough detail. And as my english teacher always says, "you will NEVER get good marks for waffling."

Uggy

the markers wont read it once youve fulfilled the criteria, so yeah its a complete waste of your time. A lot of markers wont even READ your answer, they'll skim to find the specific words/techniques that you should be using

NSBHSchoolie

It's true, I got full marks on my change essay because of that. I barely had an argument, just all the techniques down.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
It depends on the teachers/markers. Despite what they say, some are still influenced by the thickness of the answer. Quality may come before quantity but you find out about the quantity first and that at least have some hold in certain teachers' minds when marking. So ride your luch, i suppose, but don't write more just for writings sake, only when you actually have something to say.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
A word of advice, look for phrases like "at LEAST one" and "a VARIETY" ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by RIZWAN
Do you lose marks if you write to much e.g. if it asks for one reading/perspective and you do two readings/perspectives do you lose marks?
I dont think its a matter of losing marks but rather you could develop your one reading/perspective. It just depends on the question really. If they demand more than one, obviously do more than one. But if the question demands only one, then it might be advisable to do one very well, instead of two ... This doesnt even make sense to me!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Asquithian
i have the feeling BOS markers tend to to have a feel how heavy your essay is before they mark it :rolleyes:
Brings out a large scale... So that was 15 pages... Ill give them 15/20... :p

malayz_angel

I guess it might be okay if u managed to relate them really well but it honestly would be a waste of time in any other case. You might actually get really good marks on that particular question but would lose marks on another because you couldn't spend enough time on it..just stick to the requirements

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I think you could actually get penalised if they said "Write about 2 perspectives" and you wrote about 3 or whatever...but I doubt they would ever word a question like, they would probably say "write about at least 2" or whatever-which meant that in theory you could write as much as you liked. But I dunno...it depends on the question and how tough the marker is I guess.
But yeah-once you have done what needs to be done, time would be better spent on the rest of the exam than carrying on with it. And you want your writing to sound succint, waffling on won't do you any favours! Just imagine you were a marker and had to sit down and decipher hundreds of students messy handwriting and responses...no one is gonna be thrilled by a overly long answer!:p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i spose if it was in an essay it wouldnt matter but its seriously a waste of ur time - if they want 1, they want 1.

our teacher told us something i didnt know though. we were doing a q1 paper 1 and there was a q that asked for people to reply to 1 of the texts and there were 2. some people did both of them but she said they would only take the 1st 1 u wrote about, even if ur 2nd 1 was better coz they only wanted 1.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Well let me put it this way

In an Exam
TIME is valuable.....

If you spend more time on one essay/task you'll have less time on the other which means less marks....

So dont waffle... time your sections and dont write too much for one particular section

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If theres any advice I can give, its to learn how to write fast - its extremely advantageous if u can write 2 pages every 10 mins rather than 1, because it allows u to fully demostrate your ideas, rather than constrict them to concise summaries.

this obviously takes quite a deal of practice....if u start now, u'll see the results in the trials

and if you write about more than the perspectives they ask for (or whatever) just do the third and subsequent briefly. What they mean by two is "two in sufficient detail"

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I think some markers may read excess readings or perspectives as you having 'not filled the criteria', since it shows that you didn't read the question and therefore haven't answered the question correctly.

I wouldn't push my luck, and as other people have said you don't really have time to write more than you're required to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)