• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Distinction Courses (1 Viewer)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
anyone applying for a distinction course for 2004?

i spoke to my principle today about it and he is calling the board to get some informations on it and he thinks it'll be okay for me to do it. im thinking of doing philosophy.

and for those who done it before. which course did you do? did you enjoy it? and whats your accelerated mark(s)? thanks

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Distinction Courses are usually amongst the top-scaling courses. :)

I thoroughly enjoyed Philosophy when I did it, and I'd heartily recommend it! If your accelerated mark placed you in the top 25% of the state, I don't think you need to worry about being rejected (depending on the course).

abdooooo!!!

Banned
top 25% seems easy enough. i should be able to manage that.

how much work do you have to do for philosophy? how do you actually learn the course, do you get sent a package from the uni and learn it by yourself?

Chang

HSC
ive told my principle to put me down for cosmology. the distinction courses were offered to my whole math class. he goes u need atleast a band 6 in maths to have a chance. being placed in the top 25% is easier than a band 6 i guess

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Chang
ive told my principle to put me down for cosmology. the distinction courses were offered to my whole math class. he goes u need atleast a band 6 in maths to have a chance. being placed in the top 25% is easier than a band 6 i guess
at least band 6? that means if i do get band 6 i still might not get in... im scared. :(

so your school has got a whole class accelerating in math. is that 4 units of math?

Chang

HSC
well it was sumthing we started in yr 9. In yr 9 we completed both yr 9 and 10 maths. In yr 10 we completed the entire 2U math course and this yr we complete the entire 3U math course. Next year we can do 4U maths if we want or we can aim for higher 2U/3U marks. The best thing about this is i get up to 3 shots at 2U and 2 shots at 3U ^_^

abdooooo!!!

Banned
must be pretty cool to sit for math again and again.

i thought it was only possible to accelerate in 4 unit... since one is suppose to be so called "gifted" to be an accelerant.

what did you get in 2 unit math last year?

Chang

HSC
mainly coz i thought who gives a shit? i get another 2 chances at getting a decent score. Last yr i never did my h/w or studied for exams. I studied for like 10 mins for the HSC test and that was just before the exam too

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
top 25% seems easy enough. i should be able to manage that.

how much work do you have to do for philosophy? how do you actually learn the course, do you get sent a package from the uni and learn it by yourself?
If you remind me (<a href=mailto:james.king@boredofstudies.org>via email</a>) I can find out the lowest that has been accepted for the past two or three years.

Yes, you're sent a package with the course materials, and you also attend three compulsory residential schools throughout the year (held at UNSW) with all of the other philosophy students in the state. Lots of fun. :D Always great people too. The residentials each last for an entire weekend, and you receive lectures on all the course materials then. There's a whole booklet covering these sorts of details on <a href=http://www.distinction.nsw.edu.au/>the DC website</a>.

If you have a genuine interest in the subject, it generally doesn't take much more than a bit of reading to keep on top of everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)