• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

displacement vs time graph (1 Viewer)

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Hello
I just want to ask how do you calculate the magnitude of the acceleration on the time graph. Could you guys please explain to me and show me examples.

Thanks

_deloso

HSC
you would need to differentiate the graph twice... which is hard if you haven't covered it in Maths. you don't really need to know this in HSC phys. just remember that velocity= displacement/time. and acceleration= velocity/time

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
You wouldn't get a question like that since the syllabus only uses maths up to a year 10 level (which I think is ridiculous). As the above post said, you'd have to take the second derivative of the graph which you don't learn to do until year 12 2 unit maths. However, you should be able to recognise that in a displacement-time graph a straight horizontal line means the object is not moving, a straight line is an object moving with a constant velocity (the gradient of the graph) and a curve is an accelerating object.

If it's something that legitimately interests you I'd recommend finding something on khanacademy (I had a quick look and found this - not sure how relevant it is) but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it yet.

EDIT: 100 posts! :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)