• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Disabled Students (1 Viewer)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
What do these people do if they want to sit the HSC exams.

People with Autism (like my brother) and other mental illnesses are unable to sit the HSC exam...what do they do then?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i am not sure what autism does to a person.

but they will give them special provisions. depending on how severe the disability is, a person may get a writer, reader, 10mins extra every 1/2 hous, computer to type on, rest breaks every half hour, may be able to do their paper across 2 days.

they will be brought into a different room from everyone else, and whatever special provisions they have been awarded they will get

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Austism is where a person can't communicate as well as others. My brother acts as if he is about 7 years old.

But my brother is in the support unit at his school and he doesn't do mainstream classes. The only mainstream class he does is Maths.

I was told that he and others in his support unit class will have a simplified exam - with questions suited to them. However l am not 100% sure this is right.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Aren't there those "life skills" courses that you can do to complete your HSC but you don't get a UAI? I thought I remembered reading something about them.

Ashleet

HSC
people with mental illness or other select disabilities can go through misadventure to an extent, but i'm not sure if this would be the case with your bro

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I go to a school where disabled kids are intergrated into normal classes but also have their own unit to do some studies. Whilst disabled people are free to sit any course in the HSC just like everyone else (you are not barred from doing any exams just cos you have a mental illness), but as Ash mentioned, the 'Life Skills' courses are courses that concentrate on teaching the physically/mentally challenged students the fundamentals of the English and Maths courses whilst leaving time for them to work on skills for their life beyond school. Obviously a lot of these people don't have the capacity to go onto further study (uni, tafe, wateva), and so in the later years of high school it is important to teach skills that will actually help in later life.

MoNNiE

HSC
our school has a special unit for students with disablities,
there was a girl in my grade who had autism,
she sorta excelled in music (very talented at singing.. but had difficulties learning the work) i dun think her case is 'that survre, but she does take those special life skills courses, as well as some main stream subjects (forgotten) on the other hand,
other students in the support unit in the HSC grade, do not take the HSC itself, they have an alternate program set up, --again life skills which involves them to do work experience at places such as department stores, shops -- any where they can work.. free of charge i think it was...packing shelves etc..
it's pretty good i reckon -- bludgy..~! but it does prepare them and allow them to gain 'necessary workforce attitudes and skills'

well that's my thesis for 2nite

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by fourp1ay
they dont get to coz they scare the other children
OMG your scared of another human being, god you are sad, not to mention pathetic. You obviously don't know anyone who has a disability and l look down at you and your stupidness.

Thank you everyone who has helped. Also, with those of you at the schools who do intergrated classes with the disabled, what schools do you go to?

My brother goes to Glenmore Park High.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
what does bring back the biff mean?
Its on The Footy Show (Best show on television)

watch it this year and you'll find out (hopefully)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
My school was purpose built to be able to intergrate disabled students as much as possible. I think u already know my school, but if you want to know just pm me...

MilfordSound

My friend broke his arm a week before the HSC
they gave him a year 11 scribe
he told us how hard it is to scribe maths

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by fourp1ay
they dont get to coz they scare the other children
grow up.

and milford - i can imagine how hard it'd be for maths O__o;;

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
This girl at my brothers school who was in year 12 in the support unit and she completed her HSC. Its a shame my brother doens't know what she did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)