• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

CSE Programming Competition Results (1 Viewer)

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
dammit, we got told about it last year, but since we were in yr 11 we couldnt do it, now in yr 12 they dont tell us about it :(

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
sit in a room and code solutions to 6 hard programming problems.

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
heh i got 3marks LOL for the question i did :D we came 20th

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Kn1ght_M4r3
w0w. as in pseudocode?
or as in vb6 and stuff?

s0o u guys are like full smart at algorithms and that then aye?
any language that will be able to make the program run, so no pseudocode. we have to send them the code and input data to show that the program works.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
there was one where you count the number of letters in every word in a sentence and you turn that number into a decimal. it was really weird, one of the sample results was a poem that was pi to like 20 decimal places.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Holy bajeeba's! We came 15th.. that's about.. 113 places higher than I thought we would get.. considering it was done in the middle of trial exams, I'm damn happy with that.

I know how you feel, hasm.. we really struggled to get 2 and a half done!

Last edited:

Soliah

Originally posted by hasm
tasks are at http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~progcomp/questions.html if you want to take a look.

i'd like to know how all these top teams managed to get 5 tasks done in only 2 hours... we struggled to finish 3!
This is how my team did it:

1 coder
2 problem solvers with input from coder.

We decided this before the comp started so as to prevent any arguing whilst in the exam etc... Also, since one of us was obviously better with the keyboard, he was chosen to be the coder. Work with your strengths, not your weakenesses!

Next read all the questions and determine what can be done in a few minutes and what questions will take a longer time. Keep your eyes on the time, and make sure that you don't spend too much time on a single question and don't leave any for the others. Also, I set my watch alarm to go off 15 minutes before time was up, to give time for commenting code.

That's pretty much how my team worked.

hasm

Originally posted by Soliah
This is how my team did it:

1 coder
2 problem solvers with input from coder.

We decided this before the comp started so as to prevent any arguing whilst in the exam etc... Also, since one of us was obviously better with the keyboard, he was chosen to be the coder. Work with your strengths, not your weakenesses!

Next read all the questions and determine what can be done in a few minutes and what questions will take a longer time. Keep your eyes on the time, and make sure that you don't spend too much time on a single question and don't leave any for the others. Also, I set my watch alarm to go off 15 minutes before time was up, to give time for commenting code.

That's pretty much how my team worked.
Interesting. I noticed your scores average around ~10 per task -- is this due to intentionally stopping work on the task after a period of time and proceding to the next, or were they just so rushed that they seemed complete at the time?
In hindsight we spent way too long on the first couple of tasks. Q1 took me about 15 minutes to code and another 15 squashing bugs -- and even then, it's obvious I missed something. :/
We must've wasted about an hour on Q2, just trying to perfect it :(
Q4 was thrown together in the last 20 minutes, and ironically scored us our top score (15). :)

None of us could figure out Q3 though, Q5 looked like it would take too much time, and we didn't even get around to looking at Q6. :(

I guess the time spent polishing what we did would have been better spent throwing together some of the other tasks.

Wish I had've known about this comp before this year though...

Soliah

When we had read all the questions we determined all which could be done fast. These were Q1, Q2, Q3 and perhaps Q5.

Well, Q1 was done in a few minutes - but we forgot to add a bit for getting input, and so this was rushed and put together right at the end.

We spent too long doing Q2 but we did get it work. I remember there was a bit of confusion with this Q, and we would have to come back to it, to fix up some really messy code. With that we wanted to make up some lost time in Q3. I don't remember how long we spent on Q3 but we did get it out.

Now we attacked Q5, as I thought that Q4 looked rather tough :( This turned out bad as we struggled badly with Q5 and decided to come back to it and go on with Q4 as the pressure started to come down on us, with time running low. Q4 was done and turned out to get the most points, which I thought was extremely strange, since all other questions were done in Haskell, whilst this single question was done in Ruby.

We then went back to Q5 and didn't get to finishing it, before we had 15 minutes left.

So gather what you want from that ^. :) All our solutions worked well, and I rekon that we should've got more marks for some of 'em :( But oh well, we'll make it up in the finals hopefully.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
hmm, that's a pity that some of you guys didn't hear about it.

we were asked by our comp1711 (higher computing) lecturer to go back to schools and inform them/help them with the competition.

however i guess not all schools got the info. :(

hasm

Originally posted by Soliah
When we had read all the questions we determined all which could be done fast. These were Q1, Q2, Q3 and perhaps Q5.

Well, Q1 was done in a few minutes - but we forgot to add a bit for getting input, and so this was rushed and put together right at the end.

We spent too long doing Q2 but we did get it work. I remember there was a bit of confusion with this Q, and we would have to come back to it, to fix up some really messy code. With that we wanted to make up some lost time in Q3. I don't remember how long we spent on Q3 but we did get it out.

Now we attacked Q5, as I thought that Q4 looked rather tough :( This turned out bad as we struggled badly with Q5 and decided to come back to it and go on with Q4 as the pressure started to come down on us, with time running low. Q4 was done and turned out to get the most points, which I thought was extremely strange, since all other questions were done in Haskell, whilst this single question was done in Ruby.

We then went back to Q5 and didn't get to finishing it, before we had 15 minutes left.

So gather what you want from that ^. :) All our solutions worked well, and I rekon that we should've got more marks for some of 'em :( But oh well, we'll make it up in the finals hopefully.
Ooh you used Haskell & Ruby? Nice :)
Anyway, thanks for the info, you obviously know what you're doing :D
Good luck in the finals! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)