• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Completely stuck on whether to keep doing IPT in Yr12 or 4U English. (1 Viewer)

OReilly

HSC
Hey guys, (first post!)
I'm currently doing Extension 1 English, Mathematics, Software Design & Development, IT- Multimedia, Information Processes & Technology and Ancient History. At the end of this term when i go onto year 12 I will be dropping Ancient History and will then have 11 Units.

I am trying to work out whether to drop IPT and go on to do Extension 2 English or just drop Ancient History and leave it as is. I chose to do all 3 computer subjects due to the way the subject lines were set out and I am quite good with the computer subjects and knew i wouldn't struggle with any of them. But i tend to find IPT to be the biggest struggle out of all of them in that I have no passion for it whatsoever. The majority of lessons we are just typing up notes and if we aren't doing notes we are googling definitions of various computer peripherals etc.
I am happy to do all that as it is important to know these things but not as a whole subject. In Software and Multimedia we cover all of this to begin with but not as in depth as IPT. The only thing keeping me from dropping it and picking up Extension 2 is that, well, i'd be picking up Extension 2 English.. I know If i kept IPT i would most likely still go fairly good in it, but I am not sure it would be as beneficial a move to me as sticking to 2 computer subjects and doing 4 unit English.
Now i'm not the type of person that could sit here and write paragraphs about how passionate about English i am.. But I am a very creative person and also analytical so i tend to excel in English because i am good at creative writing and analysing things. However my biggest downfall over the years has always been that i am not exactly a master at structuring my writing and researching things to a large enough extent. I enjoy doing Extension 1 English and have been averaging around 80% in the assessments.

So I tend to go fairly good in both subjects, but I guess it's a case of which one I would find more interesting and which choice would pay off more in the end.
So yeah, I felt sharing my thoughts here on the forums and getting your opinions may help my decision. What do you guys think about all this?

thoth1

Banned
HSC
do u enjoy english and are you good at it? bcuz wiff ur major work ur goin to have to be really organised. i was talking to a guy recently and he said he spent bout 700 hours on his major work.

HSC
do u enjoy english and are you good at it? bcuz wiff ur major work ur goin to have to be really organised. i was talking to a guy recently and he said he spent bout 700 hours on his major work.
IPT would be worse still, it scales poorly and English is awesome (if you like it)

OReilly

HSC
I love the creative writing side of English and when I have the freedom to analyse something that interests me. My Downfall is when i have to go out and find other sources to back up what I'm writing about and do extensive research into things in particular however looking back at it I guess I'm not too bad, it's just a little hit and miss, depends on how much effort i put in to finding a good source and how well I understand what we're doing and whether it interests me. If we're doing a topic that I don't quite get or has no interest to me whatsoever i tend to straggle behind a bit and just assume that I'm not going to go well in the task and focus my mind more on another task I'm working on at the time. But i dunno, that may change next year, i can't necessarily afford to allow myself to get that kind of mindset in anything because I'm supposed to be working towards making sure i go well in all 10 units.

OReilly

HSC
I must say though, after playing around with one of those ATAR calculator sites.. Considering the amount of time you need to invest into your major work for Extension 2 the difference in ATAR i was getting was nothing special. I assumed i got 85 in IPT and 38 in Extension 2 and the difference in ATAR score was about 2 points.

thoth1

Banned
HSC
I must say though, after playing around with one of those ATAR calculator sites.. Considering the amount of time you need to invest into your major work for Extension 2 the difference in ATAR i was getting was nothing special. I assumed i got 85 in IPT and 38 in Extension 2 and the difference in ATAR score was about 2 points.
yeah ur right. EE2 doesnt scale as well as it should. thats why ppl say u shuld only do it if u really really luv english.

OReilly

HSC
And it's worth keeping Extension 1 for the extra English value and because they pick the best 2 units of English right? Meaning 1 unit of Advanced and Extension 1 English could be calculated into my ATAR score?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
You said you do not particularly like IPT, but enjoy creative writing.

This means that not only would you probably do better in EE2, but you'd enjoy it more too.

IPT scales a lot worse than EE2 as well.

Choice seems pretty obvious to me.

edit: I did EE2 this year and by no means do you invest 700 hours into it. I did like 2 hours a week and finished comfortably.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
You said you do not particularly like IPT, but enjoy creative writing.

This means that not only would you probably do better in EE2, but you'd enjoy it more too.

IPT scales a lot worse than EE2 as well.

Choice seems pretty obvious to me.

edit: I did EE2 this year and by no means do you invest 700 hours into it. I did like 2 hours a week and finished comfortably.
Yeah this is alot, I doubt this is true.

But OP as said before IPT sucks and you don't like it so EE2 is the best choice

OReilly

HSC
Yea true enough i do not like IPT. But I am if not the best the second best student in the class because. I'm good at computer subjects to begin with and tend to be getting 75%+ in tasks without putting much effort in. EE2 sounds like a lot more time and effort. But then there is the fact that i like writing and have always done well in creative writing tasks..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)