• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

CaCO3 for neutralisation? (1 Viewer)

melissab

HSC
Just wondering if anyone has any information about the use of CaCO3 for neutralising large acidic spills to minimise risk.
2 advantages and a disadvantage would be great..
:)

beentherdunthat

HSC
melissab said:
Just wondering if anyone has any information about the use of CaCO3 for neutralising large acidic spills to minimise risk.
2 advantages and a disadvantage would be great..
:)
ADVANTAGES: It comes in solid form, can absorb the spill, prevents it from spreading... CaC03 is also more soluble in water... It is also a weak base, and thus does not react vigorously with the acid to neutralize it.
I'm not sure if it's amphiprotic can't remember, but NaHCo3 is more preferable because it is and thus can react with both acids and bases

DISADVANTAGE: Just Check if it's hygroscopic (Sulphuric Acid) , efflorescent (HCL) or reacts with gases in the atmosphere, that would tell you the disadvantage.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
CaCO3 is not amphiprotic. Also CaCO3 is not soluable in water (lots of CO3 2- are not)

concur with NaHCO3 is better part.

beentherdunthat

HSC
xiao1985 said:
CaCO3 is not amphiprotic. Also CaCO3 is not soluable in water (lots of CO3 2- are not)

concur with NaHCO3 is better part.
Ah, thanks for that ;)

I agree though, using NaHCo3 or Na2C03 to neutralize spills is more preferable... that's what I always use anyway :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
From Conquering Chemistry Third Edition page 162:

Na2CO3

Sodium carbonate is widely used to neutralise acidic spills or effluents because:

• it is a stable solid wich is easily and safely handled and stored
  • it is the cheapest alkali around
  • if too much of it is used ther is less danger than from excess sodium hydroxide or lime (calcium hydroxide)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)