• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Biology Vs. Chemistry (1 Viewer)

november29

HSC
Basically I need to pick one more unit to study next year, and I am tossing up between Biology or Chemistry. What are the pros and cons of these subjects and which would you choose and why? Any advice will be appreciated :)

(Oh and also, my other subjects are 3maths, 3eng, Modern History and French)

Last edited:

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
Chem - easy, better scaling, opens pathways.
Bio - boring (well the majority anyway, who cares about australian biota etf), bad scaling. Easy if you can memorise voluminous textbooks.

Chem for the win.

HSC
yeah biology gets very dull.. lots of memorising.

chem far more interesting and its not as hard as some people make it out to be.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
biology is easier but less interesting as it's basically memorising large pieces of information.

chemistry is more applied, scales better, and generally more useful if you wish to go into a science based degree in uni

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Bullshit! Chemistry is hard ! Well, from my point of view it is. I don't think it's extremely hard, but it's harder than physics.

Yeh, go with Chemistry, its more fun, and enjoyable. But you really have to put the work in if you want to stay on top.

HSC
i would say bio
but thats only because i have a strong dislike for chem
(obviously im not very scientific)
& i just find bio more interesting.

but each to their own.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Chemistry - it's skills based, much more interesting and may be able to help you in uni :)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I do both, I enjoy both for different reasons.
Bio is a more humanitarian science. I believe it is more 'interesting', but thats just a personal opinion. It is a lot of memorising and the year 11 course gets very dull, but yr 12 looks great..
Chemistry is easy if you are mathematical. It is all logical and in my opinion easier because there is less content to remember, and once you remember and UNDERSTAND, you can apply it to anything and get results. I don't really find it interesting though, and know that once I've finished highschool I will forget it all and never have a practical application for it in my life, cos I'm not doing science in uni, whereas I think bio would make you a bit more knowledgable with stuff in the real world.
Mer.
Try both and drop whichever you don't like?

HSC
Chemistry!!!
It scales better, WAYY more interesting then learning about cells, relatively easy if you study properly, pretty good resources in the BOS resource page, may help you in uni
Chemisty=love
Physics = sex
Bio = gay

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Chemistry scales better. You should look at which topic in science you enjoyed more in year 10. Personally, I enjoyed the chemistry topic better than the biology topic.

Dooga

HSC
there both good subjects in year 12
yr 11 bio is a bit of bore
but then so is yr 11 chem
especially when you learn about water

if you do chem make sure your teacher doesn't pick the shipwrecks option in yr 12
go with industrial chem
trust me im doing shipwrecks and its shit

HSC

if you do chem make sure your teacher doesn't pick the shipwrecks option in yr 12
go with industrial chem
ahh totally agree with that.
yr 12 is way way way better!

jamersonx

HSC

go with industrial chem
I also agree, I don't do chem, but biology in year 12 in my opinion is great. And it really isn't too much memorising, its more understanding the key concepts of each topic. Although, I must admit some of the options do look a bit dry..

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Chemistry - it's skills based, much more interesting and may be able to help you in uni :)
yes! yes it did!
it allowed me to skip at least 5 weeks of boring chemistry lectures in 1st year uni.

otherwise:

i would say bio
but thats only because i have a strong dislike for chem
(obviously im not very scientific)
& i just find bio more interesting.

but each to their own.

november29

HSC
Thanks everybody for your replies! Still deciding and the forms are due in on Wednesday... :S

Chemistry scales better. You should look at which topic in science you enjoyed more in year 10. Personally, I enjoyed the chemistry topic better than the biology topic.
I wish that I could do this except for the fact that we haven't studied biology this year! Which is a massive bummer... What is the year 10 unit like?

go with industrial chem
I know in Chem our option is Forensic Chemistry and for Bio it is usually Genetics: The Code Broken or the Human Story (depending on the teacher)

Has anybody done either of these options and have any views on either of them?

Last edited:

Dombrovski

HSC
I know in Chem our option is Forensic Chemistry and for Bio it is usually Genetics: The Code Broken or the Human Story (depending on the teacher)

Has anybody done either of these options and have any views on either of them?
I did Forensic Chemistry;

I found it very interesting; you do mostly chemical analysis techniques, Mass Spec, Chromatography etc, and this part of the subject is very much based on theory

Furthermore, you learn about carbohydrates, protiens, and amino acids, you learn to draw them.

There is also a minor component on law and chemistry, destructive chemistry, DNA fingerprinting.
Forensics may be content based (I dont think there are any calculations), but it is extremely interesting and very worthwhile as it gives you a good basis for uni if you do health science courses.

I did Communication for bio; also good for Health Science; coz eyes/ears/nerves are covered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)