• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bachelor of Commerce (Services Marketing - Tourism and Hospitality Management) (1 Viewer)

Dilan1

HSC
I plan on doing this course at UNSW here's the link http://www2.fce.unsw.edu.au/nps/ser...heritableArea&maxWnd=_Future_UG_BComMarketing

I'm just like to know if anyone here has done this course and what its like. One other thing i don't understand is what the general education course is and whether i chose the 7 electives from these

Cheers Dilan

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
I'm not doing this course, but I know a few people who do (and general education's just the same with all courses in UNSW).

Basically... you just go to this website (this plan is for students commencing in 2008, so when you start university in 2010, it will probably be a little different, but still similar): http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2008/3571.html
Since it's a fairly stricted course (you MUST major in Marketing and Tourism & Hospitality Management -- and maximum major in any single degree is two), they've even planned out exactly what you have to do for the time of your degree.

As for general education, you'd need 12 units (which is 2 subjects) from ANY other faculty besides your own (in this case, you can't do any business subjects and count it as your 'general education').

Last edited:

FlipX

HSC
Dilan, if you're still considering this course and your interests are in tourism and hospitality, then I would strongly recommend it.

I'm in my (technical) final year (having fudged a couple of courses -.-), and while certain courses have been a bit fluffy, it's been a good experience overall. The flexibility offered by the degree and the tight-knit alumni networks are both strengths of the program. You'll also come out with a double-major in marketing (taking the same courses as regular marketing kids) and tourism/hospitality management, with the option to undertake a third major out of the list you posted (or potentially a language, pending the School of Business' programs review).

That said, this degree is geared more towards management - so if you enjoy the operations side of tourism and hospitality (e.g. commercial cookery), you will want to consider something like a trade school.

The updated program outline for 2010 is here: UNSW Handbook Program - Services Marketing - Trsm&Hosp - 3571. Note that the old entry interview has been given the boot - you now only have to submit a written application. Also, as with all BCom programs at UNSW, the dreaded Quantitative Methods A (think HSC 3u Maths) has been knocked off the list of compulsory first-year courses. Bonus!

If you have any specific questions, just post them here and I'll do my best to answer them. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)