• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Anyone going to Sydney Uni Day? (1 Viewer)

BlasterWorm

Hello people

Just wondering if anyone is going to the Sydney University SDD enrichment day?
I mean it looks interesting and i'm enrolled. Is it worth it?

Thanks
Alistair

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
it was a waste of 30-something dollars.
in the end you get a booklet and thats about it.

spend the day in the sun, reading your textbook, much better investment, imo.

the only thing i remember from the one i went to was how to swap 2 values.

temp = value1;
value1 = value2;
value 2 = temp;

thats all. :D

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
yes but that was for your course...this was for hsc.

just trying to show how shit it was when i went to it.

they also showed the worst/best case scenario's in sorts/searches. that you dont even need to know for hsc sdd.
i mean like the O(n<sup>2</sup>) thing...

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by ...
i learnt that in 5minutes in Mq's lect
-___-;;
i didnt even learn it, since its bloody common knowledge. its not even something they should teach, its like common sense man.

J0n

N/A
HSC
I went last year and i thought it was pretty crap too, the first guy was quite weird, and talked about the speed of the different sorts which we don't need to know much about. The second guy just talked about scenarios and scenarios. The third person gave tips about the HSC paper.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
i didnt even learn it, since its bloody common knowledge. its not even something they should teach, its like common sense man.
True, looking back Im thinking how easy software is

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Originally posted by redruM
yes but that was for your course...this was for hsc.

just trying to show how shit it was when i went to it.

they also showed the worst/best case scenario's in sorts/searches. that you dont even need to know for hsc sdd.
i mean like the O(n<sup>2</sup>) thing...
Wow. Cool. I did an assignment on 4U maths last year on that. I also built a program which demonstrates these sorting cases.

I'm sure that whilst ttalking about order of equations, they would have covered a number of things which were actually HIGHLY relevant to HSC SDD. Whilst the three algorithms that you need to know all have order or O(n^2), they have a different equation for the number of SWAPS in the three equations. Like, the bubble sort still has O(n^2) swaps/comparisons, whilst the Selection has comparisons of O(n^2) and swaps of only O(n).
Can you see why this would make the selection sort so much faster?
Can you also see why this makes for the fact that there is basically NO DIFFERENCE in speed when you are dealing with a list of very small 'n'?
If you cant, then you should learn this.
If they ask a question on sorting in your HSC, they will want you to COMPARE THE THREE ALGORITHMS. They will want you to know WHY one is faster than the other, and thus WHY this one is more suitable for whatever crappy fill-in scenario they are asking the question in the context of.

However one point, if you do happen to know about orders, dont bother writing about big-o notation in your SDD exam: you are wasting time because the marker will not know what you are talking about. (You will know too much for the purposes of SDD)

If you are a competent SDD student/programmer, then this thing will probably be useful. Especially in the future when you do have to write these things yourself.

If you dont know what you are on about, then maybe you would find things like best and worse case scenarios in sorting irrelevant and useless.
But you should probably understand that a bubble sort has a shit of a time with a worst case scenario, whilst a selection/insertion sort 'really' doesnt care what the data is and how much in order it is prior to sorting.

Personally, I cant see how any form of organised HSC study/revision/(and (hopefully not) learning for the first time) can be not worth going to. Especially if its only 30 bucks.

How long till the HSC now?

J0n

N/A
HSC
Originally posted by Fosweb
Wow. Cool. I did an assignment on 4U maths last year on that.
You had and assignment in math? :confused:

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Yeah. We each got a chapter from an american calculus text, and taught ourselves some of the methods in 4U integration etc. (I picked a chapter on speed of sorting equations)

Cool though because i picked one that I could do with SDD also.

gabn

HSC
yeah i'll be there, 2/3 of the class will be there so that's 2 of us. i have a teacher which as never done software before so i'm hoping this leachture is good

Merforga

Originally posted by gabn
yeah i'll be there, 2/3 of the class will be there so that's 2 of us. i have a teacher which as never done software before so i'm hoping this leachture is good
Most of us have teachers like that....-_-"

gabn

HSC
I think mine takes the cake..... ex-bhp guy retrained teacher we are his first sdd class. yeah i shouldn't rubish my teacher on a public fourm. so i'll stop there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)