• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Another HSC Business studies question help pleaseee! (1 Viewer)

muzikk93

HSC
heyy guys,

another question that i'm really stuck with... help would be great!!

the question is:

Imagine that you are the Chief Operating Officer of a business that employs about 250 workers. Demonstrate your people skills as manager by outlining how you would achieve each of the following objectives:

a) motivating staff

b) resolving conflict at work as it arises

c) showing empathy for staff.

if anyone has the spare time to explain, i would also like to know the meaning of 'empathy'.

thanks for the help in advance :)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
a) People skills can be shown through the effective communication of the chief operating officer to his/her employees, thus motivating them to work harder. Other effective people skills can be shown by being able to analyse the wants and needs of employees and offering them as an incentive (e.g. monetary rewards or desire for leadership and authority being satisfied by additional responsibility).
b) In resolving conflict, managers must be able to effectively communicate with their employees to clearly identify any issues or problems faced by the employee. They must also be able to put aside any biased feelings and act in a fair manner at all times.
c) In this case, I’d consider empathy as understanding the needs and problems faced by staff. I’d say understanding external issues staff may face, as well as difficulties faced on the job.

waryap

HSC
heyy guys,

another question that i'm really stuck with... help would be great!!

the question is:

Imagine that you are the Chief Operating Officer of a business that employs about 250 workers. Demonstrate your people skills as manager by outlining how you would achieve each of the following objectives:

a) motivating staff

b) resolving conflict at work as it arises

c) showing empathy for staff.

if anyone has the spare time to explain, i would also like to know the meaning of 'empathy'.

thanks for the help in advance :)
if you're just referring to the single skill possessed by a manager, people skills, then there are 4 other linked skills.
  • listening skills
  • positive feedback skills
  • delegation skills
  • discipline skills
Each are factors leading towards the effectiveness of your role as the manager.

a) motivating staff - the skills adopted by the manager in terms of motivating staff is being able to communicate well. In other words, listening to the staff as well as providing the right, positive feedback. As a result, the staff feel better about what their doing because they are supported by you and have shown confidence in their work and therefore being motivated to do better.

b)resolving conflict at work as it arises - As the manager, being able to discipline the worker is a people skill which must be adopted by all managers. This is an asurance that conflict within the workplace can be resolved in a quick and agreeable manner.

c) showing empathy for staff - Again, this leads towards the area of listening and offering positive feedback. This will help the worker feel much better knowing that you are there for them not only as a fellow worker but also as a friend.

hooray for friends :D

keep the questions coming and I hope this helped :S

muzikk93

HSC
if you're just referring to the single skill possessed by a manager, people skills, then there are 4 other linked skills.
  • listening skills
  • positive feedback skills
  • delegation skills
  • discipline skills
Each are factors leading towards the effectiveness of your role as the manager.

a) motivating staff - the skills adopted by the manager in terms of motivating staff is being able to communicate well. In other words, listening to the staff as well as providing the right, positive feedback. As a result, the staff feel better about what their doing because they are supported by you and have shown confidence in their work and therefore being motivated to do better.

b)resolving conflict at work as it arises - As the manager, being able to discipline the worker is a people skill which must be adopted by all managers. This is an asurance that conflict within the workplace can be resolved in a quick and agreeable manner.

c) showing empathy for staff - Again, this leads towards the area of listening and offering positive feedback. This will help the worker feel much better knowing that you are there for them not only as a fellow worker but also as a friend.

hooray for friends :D

keep the questions coming and I hope this helped :S

lol thanks and yes your answer does help for sure. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)