• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Accessing journal articles from home (1 Viewer)

mzkitkat

HSC
Hi all!

I'm having trouble accessing journals from home. After i use the database and click on SFX and on GO, im lead to the journal website where it asks me to suscribe to the journal....but when i put in my unipass and student number..it doesnt work, so im assuming we're meant to know some other uni email and password to access them? does any one know how to fix this?

Much thanks!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I had the same problem, a few weeks back when trying to access a database to look for a journal. It seems that you have to be at the library to get into some of those databases, which is most unfortunate for those of us without any money for printing, or a card, or whatever they do.

Is this for bio?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Pretty sure you have to be at the uni as it goes by IP addresses.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Well, I accessed a PCR article online (hosted elsewhere, not by UNSW) by simply entering my password and such. I searched for it on the LRD.

If you want it (it's an alright article), it's in the journal named "Genome Research". Also, there's a few good journals on LRD that are supposedly in the library. Don't go stealing them tommorow at between 12:00 and 1:00, they're mine.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
sikeveo said:
Pretty sure you have to be at the uni as it goes by IP addresses.
no, you can access online journal articles from home. i can tell you how i do it, but since actually doing this is do damn complicated, this is probably not the only way, or even the best way of accessing articles. so if anyone has a better way, please tell us mere mortals how it is done

1. http://info.library.unsw.edu.au/ <-- just go here
2. click on "Databases & e-journals (Sirius)"
3. click "Find e-Journals"
4. in the search box, enter the name of a journal. this is not a search for a specific journal article, and it really doesn't matter what you enter anyway. try "sight and sound" if you don't have a clue, it will still work, but it is best to put in the name of a journal that covers the topic you are interested in
5. click on the journal that first comes up in your search
6. next you'll get something like
"# Via
Chadwyck PAO
# Available from 1932 until 1990 "
and there might be a couple of results like this. click "go" on the result that matches the years you are after. don't bother entering anything into the boxes, just clicking "go" is enough
7. this should open a new window which will ask you to enter your unipass. enter it
8. now you are in an online database of journal articles. there are a number of sites you could be at right now, so i can't give specific instructions, but look for somewhere on the page that is asking for search keywords, or a link that says something like "article search". enter the topic you are interested in (say, "picnic at hanging rock and australian cinema") and you're away

like i said, this probably isn't the best way to search journal articles from home, but it definitely works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)