• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

A general question about related texts (1 Viewer)

pigyar

HSC
For Ext-1 english, are we allowed to use a related text that is a prescibled text in advance eng? If you are unsure please do not guess...thanks

stillwaters

HSC
yea you are. someone in my class is considering doing brave new world as one of their texts (which is part of module a: comparative study of texts and context- in the wild)
however, our teacher recommends that you try to steer away from this cos the markers may think you're lazy (even if you aren't studying it for advanced but it's on the prescribed text list)
which text were you thinking of doing?

stillwaters

HSC
^ adding on.,.... ><
if you did excellant analysis that was answering the question (and your elective and module) then it wouldn't matter.
anyway, bottom line is: yes, you're allowed to use a related text that is a prescribed text in advanced english. ^^ (phew)

pigyar

HSC
thank guys, i was thinking about Blader Runner for crime fiction since it is such a good example on film noir and the hard-boiled sub genre. If it is true that markers would undermine my effort then i suppose it is better to choose another one.

pigyar

HSC
This may get a bit off the topic, but is it true that we only need to study 3 of the 4 prescribed texts? Because we are doing all four.

stillwaters

HSC
yea, i think you only need to study three of the four prescribed texts... well that's what our class is doing... cos you only need to refer to two prescribed texts (along with your related ones) in the hsc exam. not that it hurts doing all the texts but it might be a bit of an overload..?
anyway if you're looking for an interesting related text for CF that's a good example of film noir and hard boiled you should check out the movie "Brick" (2005)... directed by Rian Johnson... it updates the entire film noir/ hardboiled genre and places it within the context of AMerican high school.... and it's not all ditzy and stereotypical etc. it's really disturbing, there's all the symbolism and figures i.e. femme fatale, gumshoe detective, use of clues etc. (im kinda bsing now, i really have no idea about CF...) yeesss...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)